G-body Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
Hey guys alot of time on my hands and i got a crazy idea;looking for input.Ive done and noticed other people to have swapped there favorite v8 into there fav. gbody.Thinking about starting a company and selling all in one packages for g-bodys.Examples:buick 455 in a malibu,pontiac 400 in a grand prix,simple kit like mounts,headers,fan shroud,hoses if needed.Maybe for around 250-300 range.What do you think and Add in transmission goodies for extra,full diagrams and specs of course. :roll:

gbodyman1970

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
to be down right honest i myself was thinking about starting a company where imd sell g-body cars ,ya know like take an order for a 86 cutlass painted to customers specs set it up for the engine/trans of their choice ,etc.etc and all they would have to do is set that engine/trans in bolt up and go or do turn key option as well,but as we all know more of the gbody cars are turned to dirt track cars and are getting rare.and it was a thought in my head

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm sure if you make a Pontiac kit with headers there's gonna be a lot of happy people.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
pontiacman469 said:
...Maybe for around 250-300 range.What do you think

I think you are off by about a factor of ten on the price if you expect to make any money. Are you planning to re-sell used parts or have new ones made?

New frame and motor mounts, headers, starter, wiring, fan shroud, etc, etc, comes to a lot more than $300 just at cost. Add your time and overhead costs, and a profit, and you'll get a much higher number.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
It sounds like a great idea. But to be realistic, I don't think there would be an outstanding market for it personally. If people own these cars, generally they have accepted that they are going to work on it to get it where they want it. Granted the idea that you have seems to have found a niche in the market, i don't think that niche is a big enough one to make any money off of it. Unless your in it for the fun of the game, in that case go for it. Just my .02

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I remember when I wanted to do this with the dual exhaust crossmembers before G-force and others came about.

In regards to the original post, you'd never make any money at $250-300 per package. Not to piss on your parade, but we're talking about a limited market where most people do their own wrenching. Not to mention the plentiful sources to find used/cheap parts already.

Theory is always good, but making it happen and being profitable is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor