F body LS swap mounts

78LSboo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2023
I bought the spohn mounts and the instructions say to mock up and drill holes in the frame. Does anyone have any pics of their f body mounts in a g body ls swap? Did you have to drill holes?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
With all the sh*t out there that's direct swap in how is it this complicated. I used $33 adapter plates and got it done..

If the instructions say to drill holes I'm betting people drilled holes if they used that stuff..

78LSboo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2023
I am wanting to keep the factory truck accessories and ac. I seen a build somewhere that used the spohn mounts and cts-v pan. The compressor cleared the frame and ac box without notching. I know there is a sh*t ton of direct swap in stuff out there but most require buying relocation brackets to move the accessories around.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So you used-

The 4th gen F body block mounts
And the spohn frame mounts

Correct?

I had a local guy use this Spohn kit with the TBSS AC pump and truck accessories and it was probably the cleanest setup/method I saw on a budget. He built the car before LS swaps became a craze and the plethora of parts weren't available.
From my understanding the spohn frame mount just replaces the OEM SBC mounts (the rubber ones that bolt to the frame. If your car is a SBC, just mark the 3 of the 4 holes the mount uses and take the frame mount off (the OEM rubber GM mount for a SBC only uses 3 holes, the 4th hangs off the frame), and reuse the same holes.

If your car was a buick V6, olds 307 or something else the SBC holes are there, but have never been used. You should be able to find a picture of what holes each mount style uses and just pick the SBC ones.

You shouldn't have to drill the frame as from my understanding the bolt pattern on these spohn mounts is identical to the standard SBC frame mount used for decades across many GM chassis and all G bodies had the SBC holes there.

Reactions: 1 users

78LSboo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2023
So you used-

The 4th gen F body block mounts
And the spohn frame mounts

Correct?

I had a local guy use this Spohn kit with the TBSS AC pump and truck accessories and it was probably the cleanest setup/method I saw on a budget. He built the car before LS swaps became a craze and the plethora of parts weren't available.
From my understanding the spohn frame mount just replaces the OEM SBC mounts (the rubber ones that bolt to the frame. If your car is a SBC, just mark the 3 of the 4 holes the mount uses and take the frame mount off (the OEM rubber GM mount for a SBC only uses 3 holes, the 4th hangs off the frame), and reuse the same holes.

If your car was a buick V6, olds 307 or something else the SBC holes are there, but have never been used. You should be able to find a picture of what holes each mount style uses and just pick the SBC ones.

You shouldn't have to drill the frame as from my understanding the bolt pattern on these spohn mounts is identical to the standard SBC frame mount used for decades across many GM chassis and all G bodies had the SBC holes there.
Yes sir. I have the 4th gen block mount and the spohn frame mounts. It had a SBC in it before. The bolt holes look different. I am going to dig further into it tonight.

78LSboo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2023
Yes sir. I have the 4th gen block mount and the spohn frame mounts. It had a SBC in it before. The bolt holes look different. I am going to dig further into it tonight.
I pulled the left side motor mount off today. They holes do not match up.

Attachments

• 20230816_195503.jpg
    20230816_195503.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230816_195517.jpg
    20230816_195517.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20230816_195526.jpg
    20230816_195526.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53

DarrinWI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2022
Madison, WI
I ditched the Sphon mounts after I received a snarky reply to an e-mailed question. I went with UMI and they fit beautifully.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That's unfortunate that the mounts don't seem to be as clear fitting as I assumed. Maybe I need to stop recommending them? I have no personal experience using them, but one of the best swaps (fitment, complete setup with AC, cruise etc) with very off the shelf stuff I have seen used them- I have personally seen the car an liked them,

As far as I know they are the only mount that allows an OEM AC pump with pickup accessories to fit without notching the frame.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor