G-Body upgraded intermediate steering shaft

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
Ready for this age old topic?
Currently, I have a steering shaft from the 84 to 94 Jeep Cherokee installed on my 80 Monte Carlo. I am not really too happy with it, as it has some sloppy play where it telescopes. From what I been reading, the 95 to 98 Jeep Cherokee is a better option, as it will telescope but not have the slop because of a plastic sleeve?? At least that's what I read about. There is the borgenson $300 intermediate shaft out there, but I am unsure of the telescoping sloppyness and over $300 seems a bit steep.

There is an aspect of these G-body intermediate steering shafts that people seem to disregard. These vehicles are not a unibody construction, which means that the frame and body will flex independently of each other. Even though I have brand new polyurethane body bushings installed, there is always some frame flex and body movement. If you look at the old OEM rag joint shafts, the upper part of the shaft that connects to the steering column has a joint that provides excellent telescoping with zero turning slop.

I am almost thinking about going back to a new OEM style rag joint intermediate shaft. I really don't feel like the rag joint play is that noticeable, at least better then metal to metal slop that you can feel in the steering wheel.

Any thoughts on this?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've had this Jeep one for 12 years now, no issues.

STEERING SHAFT CLEARANCE.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The telescoping feature is only in case of a front end collision. It does not telescope during normal operation. It sounds to me like you’re just got a bad worn out shaft. Many of us on here have done this conversion with next to zero issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There is the borgeson $300 intermediate shaft out there, but I am unsure of the telescoping sloppiness and over $300 seems a bit steep.
I have the Borgeson in both my Monte and Regal, for mine I bought the shaft and u-joints separately and cut it to length definitely no sloppiness in this set up plus it is collapsible for installation and you can adjust where the shafts meet to accommodate your header tubes which was needed for my Monte.
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_20210331_181041796.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Nothing wrong with whatever you want to run, as long as you don't do something ridiculous like try to weld a steel pipe to the column shaft and steering box :LOL:

For me, and my money, I've never had a problem with a rag joint, and I don't know what people do to make them go bad that I don't do:unsure:

It can't be pure luck I've never had one 'go bad'.... I've got 50 year old trucks on their original setup.. no issues.

I've got 500,000 miles trucks since new.... no issues. I've got 250k+ mile gbodies, I've got low mileage gbodies, none have issues from lots of use, or almost no use. And I've just never had one go bad, not in the last 40 years.

Reactions: 1 user

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
The telescoping feature is only in case of a front end collision. It does not telescope during normal operation. It sounds to me like you’re just got a bad worn out shaft. Many of us on here have done this conversion with next to zero issues.
I would have to disagree with you on the telescoping feature. We are not talking about a lot of movement, but the body sits on body mounts that rests on the frame. Now does this amount of movement translate to excessive movement? Probably not much (few thousanths), but your steering box may not tolerate the load. Maybe I am just over thinking this, but if you look at the OEM intermediate shaft, it not only telescopes for installation, but the joint where it connects to the steering column allows for in and out movement.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
Nothing wrong with whatever you want to run, as long as you don't do something ridiculous like try to weld a steel pipe to the column shaft and steering box :LOL:

For me, and my money, I've never had a problem with a rag joint, and I don't know what people do to make them go bad that I don't do:unsure:

It can't be pure luck I've never had one 'go bad'.... I've got 50 year old trucks on their original setup.. no issues.

I've got 500,000 miles trucks since new.... no issues. I've got 250k+ mile gbodies, I've got low mileage gbodies, none have issues from lots of use, or almost no use. And I've just never had one go bad, not in the last 40 years.
I mean, is the rag joint really that bad? I will admit, I got on the "delete rag joint" band wagon. But the one I had was really bad. But would a brand new rag joint steering shaft be that bad?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I mean, is the rag joint really that bad? I will admit, I got on the "delete rag joint" band wagon. But the one I had was really bad. But would a brand new rag joint steering shaft be that bad?
I've never found it to be.

Honestly, I can only make guesses involving driving style and conditions that could influence things and lend them towards wearing down faster. Or slower. Take your pick.

I spent plenty of time driving manual steering vehicles. You know what one difference between manual and power steering driving? (Unless you have/want Popeye arms)

In a manual steering car you turn your steering wheel when turning around at a very slow crawl without completely stopping. And it turns fairly easy while the car rolls. With power steering you're prone to going full stop, foot on brake, then crank the wheel all the way you want to repoint the car, then let of the brake. Not a slow rotate your wheels at a creep.

But, picturing how a rag joint is built? I could see the act of forcing those tires to scrub in place and face a new direction over tens of thousands of events might wear a rag joint. At least, it's the only plausible reason why some people have bad luck and others last just fine seemingly forever.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Heat from forward turbo pipes has melted my son’s. The rag joint would get gooey/spongey feeling. An Astro van shaft solved the issue, and also had more clearance.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor