G Body Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
500 Cadillac ready to run, carb to pan, iron heads, water pump, cast iron exhaust manifolds 599lbs
with Edelbrock aluminum intake 573lbs.

When it was in an 88 Cutlass with 15x7 steel wheels, full size spare, AC it weighed 3,620 with a half a tank of fuel. 3,840 with me and ran 110 mph through the traps. The next day it got 16.8 & 17.0mpg on a trip.

Wonder what the 307 Olds weighed? I think it was a little less than the tipical 350 chevy.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
As for why I don't swap to a LT1 or LS1, money would be the reason. I am going to have a hard enough time coming up with the $100 it will take to rent a paint booth so I can spray it in a few weeks, let alone $1,000-5k for a swap. Plus, the 350 I have is about perfect except for the Iron heads. It has enough power, is cheap to maintain, and is not too bad on gas. I will be looking into a 5 or 6 speed swap in the future though, as I don't like transmissions that do the shifting for me. The other mods I have planned for weigh savings can be done when I find the parts in the junkyard, or on sale, so there is not a big price tag or a huge amount of disassembly for a protracted period of time. The car has been apart for 9 years, I just want to drive it, but I am always analyzing technical stuff too.

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
As for why I don't swap to a LT1 or LS1, money would be the reason. I am going to have a hard enough time coming up with the $100 it will take to rent a paint booth so I can spray it in a few weeks, let alone $1,000-5k for a swap. Plus, the 350 I have is about perfect except for the Iron heads. It has enough power, is cheap to maintain, and is not too bad on gas. I will be looking into a 5 or 6 speed swap in the future though, as I don't like transmissions that do the shifting for me. The other mods I have planned for weigh savings can be done when I find the parts in the junkyard, or on sale, so there is not a big price tag or a huge amount of disassembly for a protracted period of time. The car has been apart for 9 years, I just want to drive it, but I am always analyzing technical stuff too.

Fair enough, but since you are seeming to want to hit that 50/50 weight, thought it might be a consideration if you have some spare money laying around.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Trust me, there is no spare money hanging around me. I don't even make $30k a year. Of all the adults on this forum, I am probably one of the poorest, yearly income wise. I haven't even been to the junkyard in a few weeks because I can't afford the gas to go there. Once I get the paint done, I will do little things, but I am also going to school for a Mech. Engineering degree, and work 30-40 hours a week, plus maintain a house and I live alone, so I haven't got the time to do another complicated swap. That's why I shop junkyards, swap meets, E-Bay, and Craigslist to build my stuff. New parts are out of my price range. I am fortunate enough to have a massive amount of skill to get things done, and I also understand plenty of theory. Getting parts and supplies is my biggest difficulty and why the car has been down for 9 years.

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Trust me, there is no spare money hanging around me. I don't even make $30k a year. Of all the adults on this forum, I am probably one of the poorest, yearly income wise. I haven't even been to the junkyard in a few weeks because I can't afford the gas to go there. Once I get the paint done, I will do little things, but I am also going to school for a Mech. Engineering degree, and work 30-40 hours a week, plus maintain a house and I live alone, so I haven't got the time to do another complicated swap. That's why I shop junkyards, swap meets, E-Bay, and Craigslist to build my stuff. New parts are out of my price range. I am fortunate enough to have a massive amount of skill to get things done, and I also understand plenty of theory. Getting parts and supplies is my biggest difficulty and why the car has been down for 9 years.

I'm actually not far off from that at the moment myself. I'm just finally getting myself to where I have some money in the bank for a rainy day which has been prompting me to start saving my Cutlass rather then just letting it eventually die. I really need to get a place of my own with a garage before I can do any of the swaps I have listed as a possibility. So I'm primarily saving for a house and maybe a new DD. But I'm trying to stabalize the car for now so that I don't have to invest so much later.

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
jonnyslick said:
If you had fiberglass hood, trunk, and fenders (all race weight) wonder how much that would shave off?
175lbs easily.

Ill be scaling my cutlass when its done.
Dont get too much more bare bones then my car when i finish it haha.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
Just Karter said:
jonnyslick said:
If you had fiberglass hood, trunk, and fenders (all race weight) wonder how much that would shave off?
175lbs easily.

Ill be scaling my cutlass when its done.
Dont get too much more bare bones then my car when i finish it haha.

you got pics somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor