Galeaiii's 1986 Monte SS Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've decided to start a thread even though "Christine" as my wife likes to call her is 80% complete. I have owned this Monte SS since 2000 & it has been a long-expensive learning curve. To begin with I probably should have never bought the car, but when I saw it for the first time I fell in love with it. More on all of that later, I will update this thread with all of the pics that I can find from the past work that has been done to her. I will start off with how she sits now (pics & info):

This is last summer at my good friend Tobyp's house.

We just finished installing the 87-88 rear bumper cover & tail light conversion

from this...

to this...

That was not the only project done last year. Christine also received a new 8.5 from a 442 with a 3.73 posi in it:

And a set of Lightning Rods in a Grand Prix Console

If you noticed I had Grand Prix lower door panels. Those were installed about 3 years ago. I (like many others) really like the Grand Prix Interior, and have had a grand (no pun intended) plan of installing a Grand Prix dash in her for quite some time.

I have had this for the past 3 years but other things have put this on the back burner...

But not any longer, it will be installed this year!!

Here is my long list of modifications that have been done to her:
Driveline:
383 ci. Small Block
Extreme Automatics Stage 1- 200-4R
Stainless Transmission Lines
Rear End- 1985 Olds 442, 8.5, 3.73 Posi
Cooling:
Two Core Aluminum Radiator
Stainless Radiator Hoses
Duel Electric Fans
Brakes:
Front-12” F-Body Cross Drilled & Slotted Disc
Stainless Brake Lines (hard & flex)
Body:
Goodmark 2” Steel Cowl Hood
Power Antenna Frenched in Rear Quarter Panel
Firebird Rear Deck Spoiler
PST Urethane Body Mounts
Tubular Transmission Crossmember
87-88 Rear Bumper Cover & Tail Lights
Exhaust:
Hooker Competition Headers
Pypes 2 ½” X-Pipe
Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers
New Fuel Tank with Stainless Fuel Lines
Interior:
New Seat Covers, Cushions & Upper Door Panels
Grand Prix Lower Door Panels & Center Console
Hurst Olds Lightning Rod Shifter
Suspension:
Front:
Hotchkis Tubular Upper A-Arms
Hotchkis 1 3/8” Sway Bar
Hotchkis Coil Springs 1” Lowered 600lb/in
Hotchkis 5/8Machined Tie Rod Sleeves
Q-A1 12 Way Adjustable Stocker Star AL Shocks
B-Body Spindles
Rear:
Hotchkis Adjustable Upper Trailing Arms
Hotchkis Boxed Lower Trailing Arms
Hotchkis Coil Springs 1” Lowered 135 lb/in
Hotchkis 1” Sway Bar
Q-A1 12 Way Adjustable Stocker Star AL Shocks
Bracing:
Hotchkis Trailing Arm Mount Braces
Pontiac Grand Prix Core Support & Under Radiator Braces
Polished Stainless Core Support to Fender Braces

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Since I've had the car I always new that I wanted to get some different wheels & it has been a very hard and long decision for me. I finally settled on these

Boss 338's 18"x8" for the front & 18"x9.5 for the rear with BF Goodrich KDWS 245/40ZR 18 front & 275/40ZR 18 rear.
Hopefully those will be on by next weekend. 8)

Now that brings me up to this week's events.......

I was informed that one of our work trucks had blown up its engine, the red truck on the trailer...

Well when I went to pick up the truck at the shop my company had it towed to they told me that it wasn't blown up, but that it had no oil pressure and a few ticking lifters... :rofl:
I drove the truck on & off the trailer with 74,000 original miles, with a grand purchase price of $500!!!! :shock:
Did I forget to mention that it has a 6.0 LQ9 in it?
Hopefully with the help of another good friend Bobby Feimster it's time for another LS swap...

More to come later....Dinner time

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Monte looks good, I also did the 88' tail light and bumper conversion on my car about 15 years ago.
It looks like you removed the emblems on your taillights and I tried that on my 88' taillights but the glue marks bothered me more than having the emblems on so I reinstalled new emblems but last year I finally replaced my original lenses with aftermarket ones that don't have emblems much cleaner and it was a pretty easy install.
I think I waited so long to change mine because I was worried about the quality and fit of an aftermarket ones but I was instead impressed.

Dale3goodwrench

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 20, 2012
Miamitown,Ohio
Those rims will look awesome on your Monte. Any plans for your stroker after you do an LS swap ? By the way when do the cruise ins start at Quaker Steak ? I saw they had bike night at the one on Colerain thursday night.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
nice choice on the wheels...I have the grey center ones... :mrgreen: I completed my 5.7 ls1 swap last year and now am planning swap that with a 408 stroker....never seems to stop... :rofl: Also redo the wheel studs my original ones were to short...

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
565bbchevy said:
The Monte looks good, I also did the 88' tail light and bumper conversion on my car about 15 years ago.
It looks like you removed the emblems on your taillights and I tried that on my 88' taillights but the glue marks bothered me more than having the emblems on so I reinstalled new emblems but last year I finally replaced my original lenses with aftermarket ones that don't have emblems much cleaner and it was a pretty easy install.
I think I waited so long to change mine because I was worried about the quality and fit of an aftermarket ones but I was instead impressed.

I have always wanted the cleaner look of the 87-88 rear but never could get a hold of the parts. I have the emblems on the lenses now, the pic was before they came in the mail. I think I'm going to put the digi-tails led kit in them.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Dale3goodwrench said:
Those rims will look awesome on your Monte. Any plans for your stroker after you do an LS swap ? By the way when do the cruise ins start at Quaker Steak ? I saw they had bike night at the one on Colerain thursday night.

I think they will also. I didn't really want these wheels because this is the most popular style wheel & I like to be different. But after a 10+ year search for the right wheel for me I couldn't pick & these are popular for a reason....They look great on our cars! If Quaker Steak is having bike night then I guess they are having the cruise in. I haven't had the car on the street yet this year. Hopefully this week I'll be able to get her out. I haven't decided on what I'm going to do with the 383 yet. I probably won't do the LS swap until next winter, I have too much on my plate already for this year and don't want my car out of commission for too long. I have a 1949 Chevy truck that is going to need an engine when I get started on it, I've had it about 5 years longer than the Monte.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
85GPLef41 said:
nice choice on the wheels...I have the grey center ones... :mrgreen: I completed my 5.7 ls1 swap last year and now am planning swap that with a 408 stroker....never seems to stop... :rofl: Also redo the wheel studs my original ones were to short...

I see why you like the wheels, you have them on your car.. I've been thinking about the LS swap for a few years now but never really seriously considered it. When the opportunity to buy this complete truck came up it was a no brainer. I know I can scrap the truck when I'm done with it to pay for the engine. I've been reading a lot about the LS swaps lately & the one thing I cant find is what is the total investment for the install? My goal for this engine is 450-500 hp, which from what I've read that is very easy to reach. I'm going to spend the summer collecting everything necessary for the install & hopefully next spring when she rolls out of the garage she will be LS powered.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
I am def doing the bumper/lens on mine as soon as I can locate the parts! I like it. on the cost of a LS swap, I hit the 5K mark,because,
I never do things half assed.my swap included all new fueling tank, pump, SS braided lines etc. rebuilt 4L60E, new exhaust, ton of other stuff. only the 5.3 was used. if I was doing mine over again , certain things I would do different,but in the end , it came out great. my wife finally drove it and loves it. your car is lookin good! axld

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,622
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,635

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
axld86 said:
I am def doing the bumper/lens on mine as soon as I can locate the parts! I like it. on the cost of a LS swap, I hit the 5K mark,because,
I never do things half assed.my swap included all new fueling tank, pump, SS braided lines etc. rebuilt 4L60E, new exhaust, ton of other stuff. only the 5.3 was used. if I was doing mine over again , certain things I would do different,but in the end , it came out great. my wife finally drove it and loves it. your car is lookin good! axld

Yea, I don't like to half *ss things either. I have been prepping my car for a more powerful engine since the beginning. I think I'm going to keep the 200R-4 that is in the car right now and sell the 4L80E that's in the truck to give me a little $$ for the swap. I'm leaning towards the fuel injection over the carbureted set up for this swap. My wife has never drove the car, I think she is intimidated by it and she is not really a car girl. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor