Garage Heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
You must not be up in the mountains I take it? I would think there it'd get similarly cold to MN.
I'm @ 7,000' near Estes Park; technically "foot hills" my place gets good sun and is South facing so I have it better than others in the area. The real cold places are mostly at 8K and above and some of those mountain towns have 9 months of winter! I grew up in New England and I'll take winters here over there any day of the week. Not uncommon to see a day or 2 in the 60s in Feb or even January here.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm @ 7,000' near Estes Park; technically "foot hills" my place gets good sun and is South facing so I have it better than others in the area. The real cold places are mostly at 8K and above and some of those mountain towns have 9 months of winter! I grew up in New England and I'll take winters here over there any day of the week. Not uncommon to see a day or 2 in the 60s in Feb or even January here.

Pretty decent comparison to me at 6500' at my south facing house. My garage usually stays around 50 degrees unless it gets down 20 or below.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, I broke down this year as well. I use the budget monthly payment, now $200 surplus, natural gas is cheap here. Electricity is expensive here and I only have a single feed from the house on a 30 amp breaker. Pretty sure I will get rid of the surplus budget😁. It was -27C outside, -14C inside the garage, within an hour, it was 3 above freezing. I just have siding on my garage, no insulation.

Attachments

• 20201203_071245.jpg
    20201203_071245.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 207
  • 20201203_074959.jpg
    20201203_074959.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I picked up an old pellet stove to replace a wood stove in my three stall garage, I store three to four tons of pellets for the house out there anyhow so it's convenient. Only run it when I'm out there.

I do like the ceiling mount options you guys have, takes up no floor space.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, I broke down this year as well. I use the budget monthly payment, now $200 over, natural gas is cheap here. Electricity is expensive here and I only have a single feed from the house on a 30 amp breaker. Pretty sure I will get rid of the surplus budget😁. It was -27C outside, -14C inside the garage, within an hour, it was 3 above freezing. I just have siding on my garage, no insulation.
hello: You got some cold there Geezer. What do you think of the virus vaccine has to be kept at -94. That's in the U.S. that's cold.
IBBY

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I broke down this year as well. I use the budget monthly payment, now $200 over, natural gas is cheap here. Electricity is expensive here and I only have a single feed from the house on a 30 amp breaker. Pretty sure I will get rid of the surplus budget😁. It was -27C outside, -14C inside the garage, within an hour, it was 3 above freezing. I just have siding on my garage, no insulation.

How big is that and how did you tie it into the house? And how did you vent it?

Last edited:

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i used to run a heater like that, had it for a few years. my garage is insulated. it would take alittle while to heat the garage up. but worked. the only thing i didnt like is the dead of winter the floor was cold. this year i ran 200 foot of gas pipe under ground and install a big max 60,000 btu gas furnace. i keep the garage at 55. the floor is not cold as it used be. i crank it up to 75 with in 1/2 the floor is warm.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
hello: You got some cold there Geezer. What do you think of the virus vaccine has to be kept at -94. That's in the U.S. that's cold.
IBBY
I have lived on the Canadian Prairies all my life. 45 years is old, I guess. I had a relative who was an Arctic explorer, Dr John Rae. He spent Winter's up there with very few supplies, living off the land. His party saw -60 multiple times but -94 is insane.
How big is that and how did you tie it into the house? And how did you vent it?
I rented a trencher and had a plumber run line under ground. He moved the meter outside. I have it vented straight out the wall, 50,000 BTU.
20201203_071308.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor