Garage Heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I installed a 42,000 btu natural gas down draft home furnace in my 30x22 garage with 12 foot ceilings this year. We were down to the teens already and it is very comfortable in there. Tools are warm as are the cars you work on. I only turn on about and hour before going to work in there. Glad I did it. Low cost. Easy install.

Reactions: 1 users

Geezer gone wild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2020
Tobaccoville, NC
I've been following this and wondering how I can warm my 32x40 garage from 45 to 70 degrees in 30 min with my propane heater. I had never known how many BTUs it would put out. Found the tag on the heater. 100,000 BTUs. Bought it in 2002 for $300 from a friend that was going back to a wood stove. Didn't realize how good a deal that was.

Attachments

• 20201222_102615.jpg
    20201222_102615.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
Reactions: 2 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Got the first Electricity bill!

With the Xmas break and using the garage a lot the heats been on almost constantly out there and I'm using a substantial amount of electricity. 1150 kwh vs 670 so close but not quite double! BUT for that extra money absolutely worth it. With the heated garage I was able to wheel in my commuter car and replace all the shocks and bushings in comfort and repaint the roof on my Silverado! Money saved vs going to a body shop was hundreds of dollars (couldn't have done it without the heater). With the heat I can also take the kiddo in their to play some basketball or soccer and let him goof around with his tool bench when it's too cold to play outside.

With February coming up I expect the average temp to plummet so I'm going to try to leave the heater off during the week and just heat on weekends to try to conserve on that energy bill some.

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You may be better off just dropping the temp down when your not in there, instead of off. I keep my garage at 40 when I'm not in it. Keeps things from freezing, and then there isn't as much of an increase of temp needed when you're going out there.

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I know it is hard for me to tell the exact cost. The electric is estimated every second month but should be minimal, just a 2.5 amp fan. It looks like $20 for the first month, pretty sure it was $184 surplus and now at $163. It was great while working in there, I had to take off my jacket😁. Now if this was newly built garage, it would also have in floor heat as well. I do have a small electric fan, just for this reason, a cold floor sucks!

Reactions: 3 users

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I've been following this and wondering how I can warm my 32x40 garage from 45 to 70 degrees in 30 min with my propane heater. I had never known how many BTUs it would put out. Found the tag on the heater. 100,000 BTUs. Bought it in 2002 for $300 from a friend that was going back to a wood stove. Didn't realize how good a deal that was.
I bought a 125kbtu propane heater like that for my old 30x30 garage, for 75 bucks..lol It would roast you out even when the shop was unfinished with open ceilings..LOL now I rent a shop space and got a free torpedo heater that I had to fix the fan on , works good. even running diesel and not overpriced K1 it doesnt stink up the place
20210126_114209.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I bought a 125kbtu propane heater like that for my old 30x30 garage, for 75 bucks..lol It would roast you out even when the shop was unfinished with open ceilings..LOL now I rent a shop space and got a free torpedo heater that I had to fix the fan on , works good. even running diesel and not overpriced K1 it doesnt stink up the place View attachment 167838

I have a 125k torpedo at the hangar with an uninsulated metal door 40' wide. That gets it done with it in the 30 degree range. It's an impressive piece and I agree, the #2 doesn't drink you out. I prefer it to the kerosene small personally.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ran a 220V electric heater for several years and even though i had it on a timer to restrict the actual time it ran, my electric bill quadrupled during winter!! Went to gas this year and so far my gas bill has remained constant at the same per month price; I won't see any change until the next billing review. What dropped like a rock was my electricity bill. Even with longer nights and using power in the shop, the bump was only about 10 bucks. Being a lot larger than what I had used, your heater may be more efficient and take less power to give you the heat you need but for myself i plan to stay with gas. Right now the shop is sitting at a base temperature of 55 degrees F., and I only need to bump the t-stat a degree or two to make it almost too warm for heavy clothing. Put a bunny suit on and having a fleece sweat shirt under it is perfect.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

737Mech

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2019
I have a similar heater in my garage. I turn mine on then have a cup of coffee while waiting for it to knock the chill off. Usually makes the temp in the garage bearable in the winter time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor