Gas gauge not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
It goes from the fuse box to the plastic connector in the dash.

If trying a different ground didn't work, like I said, remove the gauges and make sure the connector and traces on the circuit board like in the photo I showed are good.

And if that doesn't work, then try running the long wire from the tank, and tape it against the metal part of the gauge while the car is running.

Because I guarantee that if the sender unit works good, then cutting the wire coming out of the tank, twisting it on to some 10 ft wire, and trying to touch to the back of the fuel gauge will make it work. Don't worry about the tail lights or any of the existing wiring, you need to bypass it.

That's all the advice I can give.
That's exactly what I'm going to do, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Here's my report, pulled the dash cluster apart. I hate this job because of all the brittle old plastic. All the wiring checked out, had continuity to the float wire at the rear of the car, had 12 volts to the gauge and had ground. I pulled the gas gauge out cleaned up the posts on the gauge and cleaned up the receiver grooves in the dash and it works! It is relying on the female receiver to make contact with the threaded posts on the back of the gauges. Tiny amount of oxidation and the gauge won't work. Thanks again for the help!!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_000330212.jpg
    PXL_20210404_000330212.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20210404_000321858.jpg
    PXL_20210404_000321858.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 101
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

LC2 Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2021
Here's my report, pulled the dash cluster apart. I hate this job because of all the brittle old plastic. All the wiring checked out, had continuity to the float wire at the rear of the car, had 12 volts to the gauge and had ground. I pulled the gas gauge out cleaned up the posts on the gauge and cleaned up the receiver grooves in the dash and it works! It is relying on the female receiver to make contact with the threaded posts on the back of the gauges. Tiny amount of oxidation and the gauge won't work. Thanks again for the help!!!!
Similar problem with my 87 Regal. Gauge always read 1/8th low. Finally pulled the dash apart and found the 3 pins on the back of the gauge were all loose. Used a 5/16" wrench and got about 3/4's of a turn on each pin. When I put it back together the tank error was gone! The job was very easy and only took about 30 minutes.

Of course this was after I bought a new sending unit and the tank connection pigtail. Oh well it's nice to have a working gauge anyway.

Fuel Gauge Pins.jpeg
Fuel Gauge Front.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor