Gas tank straps what a pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Started installing my new tank with new straps tonight. Holy cow what a pain!!!! Is there a trick to it? Am I doing something wrong??? I did compare to the old parts and everything seems the same by comparison

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
What's the issue, dont line up, straps dont reach the mounting holes. Have you tried to feness the gas tank up with a piece of wood on a jack. I did it that way when I had to replace my gas lines from the sender to the hard lines

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm guessing the bolts don't reach with a new gas tank and new straps.

Yes it can be a PITA, but it can, and has been done before. Make sure where the straps sit on the tank at the seam, that the seam is folded up so the strap sits close to the tank. Compare the new tank to the old one and you'll see what I mean.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
You are correct, the bolts don't quite reach. I ran out of time but I'm pretty confident I can get it. Just seemed way harder than I was expecting and wanted to make sure this wasn't unusual

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I had to use longer bolts to get the tank to find its location on the body. I then removed one at a time and put in the original bolt. Also Used jack with plywood to hold it up tight against the body.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank (6).JPG
    Fuel Tank (6).JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor