Gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 10, 2012
Can I weld on a sump on the bottom of my stock fuel tank and still use a mech. fuel pump?

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
My first thought is, "Why do you think you need a sump?"

Plenty of real fast street cars without. I can think of literally 100's of more efficient ways to spend your time and money to make your car faster than installing a sump in the gas tank.

Pitch Black

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2012
Roxboro, N.C.
I would think it would be a good idea if ur planning on running like 3/8 or 1/2 inch fuel lines. It would be hard to use big fuel lines that big from the top. If u do use one remember to turn ur outlets toward thr rear, so it forces the fuel to the outlets. Try Jegs "Jegster 40793 or the Jegster 40757 "

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yea but what would the benefit of a sump be with a mechanical pump? If its to do it in stages as you are ready to do an aftermarket electrical pump I have good news.

Cheap aftermarket "Grand National" fuel tanks & plug N play aftermarket hanger & in-tank electric pump make a gravity fed electric pump & sump or cell obsolete expensive more work to install & dangerous (for a street car) by comparison. Really its obsolete for a gbody. Unfortunately short of custom fabrication its still the only option for a 70s or older car.

Check out tank & hanger/sending unit on ebay motors. Then http://www.racetronix.com click Buick Grand National link under fuel pump systems. The Walbro pump they use with proper wireing ie voltage is good to 600 HP with a factory 3/8" line and should quietly live the life a pump in a new Vette. Add in an inexpensive in line auto parts fuel filter for early 90s 350 TPI Camaro & a cheap roll of aluminum line to easy make a return line and your good. Oh yea if you are running a carberator you also need a return style fuel pressure regulator like the Mallory 4309 again check Jegs etc. I did this for my carberated 509 powered 442. Fuel pressure was rock steady and the pump was quiet as a new car & lived for the 9,000 miles that I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor