Gauge / Cluster repair 78 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
I have a 78 Malibu classic with two gauges (fuel and speed). Neither works. The speedo use to bounce around the speed I was going and has since stopped reading at all. The fuel shows Im at full all the time until gas is low, then it begins jumping to empty. Blinker indicators also don't read. Do these sound like problems ONLY at the gauges?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well the speedo could be a bad cable. To determine that, get yourself a cordless (or corded) drill, disconnect the cable end at the trans and connect it to your drill. Set the drill to turn counter clockwise. If the speedo registers you know it's the cable...if it doesn't, then the speedo head is in need of replacement.

The gas gauge could have a bad ground, bad gauge,or bad sending unit...my old one never worked that well either. Check your fuses as well. It sounds like a sending unit problem. Try the simple stuff first.

Blinker indicators could be blown bulbs in the cluster, bad flasher unit, bulbs not seated properly or grounds..bad bulb(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor