GBOTM: April '13 Entries Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Being that my 20 year anniversary occurs in April 2013, I’ll submit my El Camino, pending approval by the mods.
Acquired on trade at a GMC Dealership I managed in April ’93 as a 100,000 mile beater, it still had enough appeal to me to take it home and replace my shortbed C1500 with a more garage able truck. After fixing a bunch of electrical issues, doing all the regular maintenance and scrubbing it up a bit, it became a reliable driver for lumberyard trips and hauling race car parts. Years later, while attending a local car cruise with my family, my son asked when we could be “in the cruise” rather that just “at the cruise”, since we had a “cool car” at home. It was time to put some time and effort into the old girl. The homely 14” wheels got replaced with 15X8 ‘Vette rallys wrapped in 235/60 and 275/60 BFG’s. A Buick T-Type donated its sway bars and steering box, as well as a three-spoke steering wheel. KYB Shocks, some poly bushings and assorted suspension pieces brought the ride and handling up to acceptable standards. Lots of eBay searches, as well as Dixie Monte Carlos and OPGI were used for weatherstrips, trim bits, replacement gauges and OEM chrome. In 2008, due to a job change and loss of a company car, I needed to press it into daily service for almost a year. The regular exposure to the elements took its toll on the ancient lacquer. Searching for solutions on the web, I discovered the Meguiar’s and AutoGeek forums, so the quest for honing my detailing skills began. Thanks to the excellent information exchanged by the forum members and staff, especially Mike Phillips, Autogeek’s resident guru, the age worn original paint now looks decent enough that I’ve picked up a few trophies over the past three years at some judged shows.
IMG_1514.jpg

I’ve owned a bunch of cool GM cars over the years, from Camaro and Firebird to 442, Corvette, even a Syclone and GN. For some unknown reason, nothing seemed to hold my long term interest like the El Camino. Check the message in the rear window.
NotforSaleII.jpg

Interior-1.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

Hi-res1cropped1.jpg

IMG_1260resized.jpg

Thanks for allowing me to bore you to sleep.
Bill

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
This is so not fair. My gbody is only 12 years old -- so how tha heck can it even qualify?!?!?
Kidding.. KIDDING :mrgreen: :roll:
Good topic though, nice rides.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
:bump: in Florida until Monday so get those cars posted up and have a nice Easter everyone!

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
Poll will be up tomorrow. Sorry for the delay everyone.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor