Gear install kit which one do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Unless you owned this car from day one, document everything or you will blow your budget replacing the same part several times. People do weird things to rear ends.
Why was the transmission replaced?

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Do your home work on the gearing. Consider tires diameter, gear, desired mph for cruise, etc. before you settle on a gear ratio. That sound like a good setup for street and strip but high rpms for cruising or highway use.
I have a th400 with a 3.50 gear and stock wheels. 60 mph and I' m at 2800rpm. But will smoke anything off the line. 6000rpm puts me at 123mph.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
cartruck said:
mine wasnt replaced the PO had it rebuilt.
That's what I mean. That's not a true statement. The stock transmission was a 2004r, 4 gear overdrive transmission. Go to montecarloss.com and look at the technical and general sections. Great info there.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
You may have a higher stall converter in there also. Maybe the PO can answer those q's for you but you're better off finding out yourself. If he told you he rebuilt the transmission and it's a th350, he lied or was lied to and passed that onto you. Your better off doing the detective work yourself. Good luck, hth.

cartruck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Maryland
I have been looking for a wile read up on the ss montes 83-84 have the th350 with 3.42s had planed on using the 3.73s the new rear had but i dont want to switch to a 4 speed because i have a th400 for spare an my trans now was rebuilt not that long ago. i asked around about the 3.73s an was told to go 3.42. i dont drive the car far and it will see more in town use than highway use and almost no track use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor