Gear install kit which one do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
That should be good. The 2004r with the 3.73 gear is a great match. It will be quick off the line. If your 350sbc is cranking out some nasty torque numbers and you beat it( as you should) those 26 spline may not hold and start to twist.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
cartruck said:
ok i can do that but what about the axle spline count should that matter for the bearing kit? forgot it will be posi when done.
The axle spline count matters because the more splines on the axle the bigger diameter the axle is. Thats why bigger spline axles are stronger. I would pull the axles out and measure where they ride on the bearing for an exact diameter. Then find bearings that fit. I have a TH400 with 3.73s out back and I dont mind it. I live out in the country where everything is 55mph and faster. I buzz about 2800rpm at 60. Im going to 3.42s soon because thats what is in the rearend im putting in but I dont mind the 3.73s one bit.

cartruck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Maryland
my car 79 el camino 305 at th moment dont plan to go any bigger than 350 mild cam maby vortec heads. The rear is from a 88 monte.

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
I see now, I thought you had a 88 monte ss. I just reread the thread. Sorry if I confused you. All my info pertained to a 87-88 Monte. Lmao. Need a new reading prescription.

cartruck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2013
Maryland
ok i thought i was just being unclear i do that alot i ask a question an then dont tell anything about the car i would like to go 3.73 i live out in the country too nothing over 55 around here im running a 235 50 16 i think its about 25 1/2 inches tall. 83montess are u saying i shouldnt get a whole kit made for the 88 ss rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor