Gear Mesh and Diff Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
So a buddy and I installed a 3.73 gear set (new) and a posi I picked up at a swap meet. I don't know if these pictures have enough detail can anyone tell me if this gear mesh looks good?

The problem I have now is that going into corners, especially right turns the rear end is making noise like something is binding or rubbing. The posi looked new (springs still had paint on them) but I don't trust it I wonder if it's no good?

Attachments

• Gear Mesh 1.jpg
    Gear Mesh 1.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 362
  • Gear Mesh 2.jpg
    Gear Mesh 2.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 364
What shims did you use, looks a little close to me... Did you measure the backlash?

Blue86Monte said:
What shims did you use, looks a little close to me... Did you measure the backlash?

I used the shims out of the complete install kit I bought. The factory shims were way off. It was within spec according to the instructions of 8 to 12 thou.

I used Lucas gear oil that has a friction modifier built in.

CdnCutlass said:
Blue86Monte said:

I used the shims out of the complete install kit I bought. The factory shims were way off. It was within spec according to the instructions of 8 to 12 thou.

it's 6 - 10 thou in a 7.5. Did you install a new crush sleeve and what is your preload?

pontiacgp said:
CdnCutlass said:
Blue86Monte said:

it's 6 - 10 thou in a 7.5. Did you install a new crush sleeve and what is your preload?

Backlash came right in at 9 thou. I installed a new crush sleeve and preload set at 25 inch pounds as per the instruction sheet.

you have all that right, for the shim on the pinion did you use the one that came with it?. The shim is normally 32 thou and once a pinion is set up in one rear end it will work in about 99% of other rear ends. I'm not saying the mesh is no good, I can't see the markings that well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor