Getting the F' Outta Dodge.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Fricassee of Kitty. Used to be that the workers who maintained the telecommunications dishes and mechanisms were told not to walk in front of the dish or they would burn. Will your Sat Link dish do the same for the cats? Is it strong and sturdy enough to hold all of them at once? How about the inevitable cat fights for space?

And that H&K G11? Wow, that is neat. Would not be easily acquired up here but great for the wide lonesome prairie.

Nick

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Fricassee of Kitty. Used to be that the workers who maintained the telecommunications dishes and mechanisms were told not to walk in front of the dish or they would burn. Will your Sat Link dish do the same for the cats? Is it strong and sturdy enough to hold all of them at once? How about the inevitable cat fights for space?

And that H&K G11? Wow, that is neat. Would not be easily acquired up here but great for the wide lonesome prairie.

Nick

Well now the question is how many watts of transmit power does that dish have and how much gain does it have? You're entering my realm now.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Well now the question is how many watts of transmit power does that dish have and how much gain does it have? You're entering my realm now.

I think the TX power is just under 4W and a gain of about 34 dB. They're actually a phased array instead of a traditional parabolic - though they are still package to look like a 'dish'

The cats like them because they do have a small heating element (or it could just be residual heat from the electronics) which help to melt the snow off them. Most dishes in North America are generally pointing north and at a fairly high angle too so snow build up could be an issue.

We had a fair bit of snow the other day and you can see the icicle forming off the side. The issue there is if it creates an ice bridge from the dish to the ground, it's can't move anymore and you'll lose your service.

20220117_082635 (Large).jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So total of 40 dBW. . . is that enough to nuke a cat? That's an order of magnitude less than what a big commercial dish would be raging at. The phased array makes sense, can you imagine a dish gimballing around trying to maintain 24/7 comms jumping from satellite to satellite?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I think the TX power is just under 4W and a gain of about 34 dB. They're actually a phased array instead of a traditional parabolic - though they are still package to look like a 'dish'

The cats like them because they do have a small heating element (or it could just be residual heat from the electronics) which help to melt the snow off them. Most dishes in North America are generally pointing north and at a fairly high angle too so snow build up could be an issue.

We had a fair bit of snow the other day and you can see the icicle forming off the side. The issue there is if it creates an ice bridge from the dish to the ground, it's can't move anymore and you'll lose your service.

View attachment 190555

Ours is oriented South. Which is odd because I set it up thinking it would favour the North based on my research. Go figure. It is -33°C plus windchill today and it is just plugging along.

Too cold for icicles... but, great weather for the tossing boiling water in the air trick.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor