glass removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
i need pointers on replacing the small rear quarter glass on an 87 cutlass . the one that needs the glass has the vinyl top, but has already been cut . the donor window is in one that either has the top removed or never had it to begin with . I have changed glass in the past , just never these . Like any pointers or mistakes i need to watch out for . i really dont want to break it . Getting hard to find around here . thanks guys . im getting close to getting her together ....... new top and paint on the way ! 8)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
First you will need to take out the interior panel surrounding the window. I can't remember if you can do it without taking the seat back out...it's been a while since I've done it. With the trim panel removed, you can see there are several small speed nuts fastening the window into place. Undo the fasteners and push the window out. It is sealed with butel (<sp?) and can be kind of messy, so be careful not to get any on your upholstry. It's pretty simple, just take your time.
Hope that helps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You can do it without taking out the back seat but it's alot easier with backseat removed so you can remove the trim instead of bending it to get at the fasteners. You might want to wear some latex gloves cause the butel does get real messy. I used acetone to clean up the mess left behind by the butel...

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama
Oh yeah......... that does help alot . I will go ahead and remove the seat . it has a light grey interior and the seats are perfect . my luck i would get it all over them . i got a few days off at the end of the week , will get on it then . Thanks

soba_03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
window r/r

I have heard that the windows for a vinyl top and non vinyl are different. I'm not completely sure but recal reading it once. Just thought i'd thow it in here. A piece of piano wire will help you, push it through the seal and you can use it to cut your seal and lift the window out. The seal is very solid and sometimes you'll break the glass before you get it to come off the seal.

Hope this helps..

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Re: window r/r

soba_03 said:
I have heard that the windows for a vinyl top and non vinyl are different. I'm not completely sure but recal reading it once. Just thought i'd thow it in here. A piece of piano wire will help you, push it through the seal and you can use it to cut your seal and lift the window out. The seal is very solid and sometimes you'll break the glass before you get it to come off the seal.

Hope this helps..

Yes, the vinyl and non-vinyl top windows are different. There is no need to use piano wire on these windows, as they bolt in, and are not glued in like a windshield or rear glass. Using wire on them will just wreck the plastic molding around the window. They are very easy to remove using the method I described in my previous post.

cutty88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2008
Williamsport, PA
so can you use non vinyl top windows if you remove the vinyl top i cant see why they wouldnt it will still seal right?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the windows that are installed with the vinyl roof use as the seal. The windows and metal frame are the same as a non vinyl application but the windows without the vinyl need a rubber seal....

cutty88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2008
Williamsport, PA
so the only option is to try and find new quarter windows? I already have mine out and i dont want to reinstall them to find out they leak

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can either find windows that have the seals or try to find the seals and use the old windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor