Glove box lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

growth

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2006
SC
I had to take my glove box apart to paint it. I read that someone said just pull hard on the knob and the lock will come apart. Well I did it and it worked good. But now how does it go back together? I tried to just push the knob back into the lock but it will not stay in place. Anybody have any ideas? :blam:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That was your first mistake...pulling the knob. The first time I tried to remove a lock, I made the same mistake. I think you might want to find another lock assembly and have it re-keyed to your locks.
There's small holes in the side of the lock where you stick a paper clip to release the tumblers and lock comes apart.
You might also find it on Youtube, or just Google it. That's where I found the info initially.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im not sure if this is totally correct Jack. I just painted the dash that I just picked up for my wagon. My original glove box door had a crack in it. I also didn't have the key for the door on the new dash that I picked up but it was perfect. I used a piece of sheet metal to protect the plastic, took a small pry bar and popped the original black knob off of the door from the new dash. Then I did the same to the original one from my wagon. To put it back on I put a piece of 2x4 in my vice to use as a stop, lined up the knob on the lock, and hit it with a soft faced hammer. I went right on. It can only go on one way due to a notch in the knob that matches up with the little tab on the lock.
There might be other locks that are different but this was a real simple thing to do.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mich,
I was able to attach the knob back on to the lock, but it spun and wouldn't open, unless you had the key or small screwdriver.
I have used the paper clip method on my new lock, and it worked well. I think it might be more difficult if the lock was in the "lock" position. Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly simple.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I must be lucky. My knob went right back on with one little tap from the hammer and it seems to be working fine. I hope it keeps working !!! LOL

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I just asked the same question on my build thread about a week ago. The correct way is to use a papperclip there is a hole to dissasemble the lock. I thought it was a pull apart deal too but it wasnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor