GM 290hp 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

83malibuwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 17, 2016
Victoria, BC
Hey guys. Just got my wagon back on the road, and broke in the new 290hp 350 crate engine. Was doing a burnout today, and I accidentally hit 5600rpm momentarily. The max rpm depending where I look is either 5100 or 5400. My shift light is set to 5200 and it was only on for about 2 seconds but my tach recalls to 5600. Is there any chance I could have damaged anything?

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
The posted max RPMs is where the cam starts to drop off in power. Rule of thumb is 500 over the RPMs listed for the drop back in the shift. NO, you are not even close to hurting any thing at that RPMs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I usually set my shift light a little lower than what I want my RPM's to rise to. By the time you react to the shift light, and actually make the shift the RPM's have already jumped past where you want them to. I usually try to shift at 6200 so I set the shift light for 5900 if I can remeber correctly, you get the idea.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

83malibuwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 17, 2016
Victoria, BC
Ok, I'll play around a bit with that, thanks. Still getting used to the new setup. Lots of new parts in this car. Got a trans brake, high stall convertor, full manual reverse pattern valve body, and MSD digital 6 plus. Figured out my top rev limiter was also higher than I want it. Fixed that as soon as I over revved it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I like the idea of the GM crate engine and plan on going a similar route for my Regal project but I plan on buying the GM crate 190 horsepower engine but I will be using a set of Edelbrock RPM heads that I have which will raise the compression and I also have a hydraulic roller to go in there to make a little more power.
My Monte I consider to be very easy to shift with the full manual reverse valve body and a Megashifter so I have my shift light set at 7200 which 200 RPM below my rev limiter.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
x2 with putting in a crate for a cruiser. It seems to becoming popular to pickup an L31 crate, swap the cam, install a set of beehives and add headers to have a high 300's hp tire burner that is quite reliable.

• Agree

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
I'm 66yo and I still like Chevrolets even though I'vebeen into Oldsmobiles for near 30 years. My dove tail 1980 Chevrolet 350 one ton car hauler (pto 12 ton hoist) has a gazillion miles on it, same engine the 28 years I've had it. I've pulled cars out of fields, off "mountains" in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. What a great engine. The Chevy small block is the greatest engine ever made, jmo. I would guarantee your engine could rev to 7500 rpms without hurting it but your valve springs wouldn't physically let it rev much pass 6000 rpms. The lower seat pressure of the stock valve springs would cause "valve float" limiting rpm plus bad things happen during major valve float. One can't build an engine for the price of these crate engines. Good luck.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
x2 with putting in a crate for a cruiser. It seems to becoming popular to pickup an L31 crate, swap the cam, install a set of beehives and add headers to have a high 300's hp tire burner that is quite reliable.

Everything I found said 400-425 with the LT4/Hot Cam, LS2 Blue springs and some Comp Cams retainers....good to .580 lift with no machine work...I triple checked it. Works like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor