GM 8-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just don’t hit ‘accept’ while cruising at 70. Then you too can be that Jeep guy.
The download request only comes on when you park the car if one happens to be ready to be downloaded and you haven't told it to go away for a specified time period. It actually asks you how long you want the request to be delayed before it bothers you again. I'm just afraid if you keep blowing it off, at some point when you DO download it, your car will be out of commission for an hour or two while it "updates".

86CUT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2020
The download request only comes on when you park the car if one happens to be ready to be downloaded and you haven't told it to go away for a specified time period. It actually asks you how long you want the request to be delayed before it bothers you again. I'm just afraid if you keep blowing it off, at some point when you DO download it, your car will be out of commission for an hour or two while it "updates".
Is you Caddy a 2020 or 2019? Just curious.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Wait a minute. I'm not 100% SURE about all that. All I know is that out of the blue, the car (2020 CT5-VSeries) acted like an iPhone the other day requesting a software update to happen. I'm like WTF? So I delayed it via the touchscreen. So in order for the download to happen, you have to accept it, turn the car off, but it keeps the infotainment screen powered up and it locks the car down saying it cannot move, and no power accessories will work until the download is complete. Takes several minutes and you can go ahead and leave the car when it happens. I chose to stay and watch. It has a download progress bar and goes into minimum power mode (screen gets darker) during the download. Once it's done, it turns the power to the screen off like normal.

Now, the thing I am NOT sure of if it was simply BCM updates or if it could have been connected to the drivetrain software. I read something in the manuals about navigation map updates, I do recall an article I read on the Blackwing CT5-V development where GM would have the ability to update drivetrain or other vehicle software via OnStar which would almost make it impossible to do a performance tune unless you redesigned a lot of computerized junk. Is that here already? I dunno. Not even sure how much of that article was true anyway about drivetrain updates.

But I did find this from the CT5 information from GM...(note the last sentence in the first paragraph. Reads like a bad translation from some other language. :) ) What are they not telling us?
Bob Lutz said it was GM's plan to have Cadillac's "Super Cruise" sensors begin the master plan of Mapping neighborhoods for eventual rollout of full autonomous cars, using their own maps that are accurate down to fractions of inches, made by unsuspecting drivers going about their lives and the car's sensors.

That takes Terabytes.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Bob Lutz said it was GM's plan to have Cadillac's "Super Cruise" sensors begin the master plan of Mapping neighborhoods for eventual rollout of full autonomous cars, using their own maps that are accurate down to fractions of inches, made by unsuspecting drivers going about their lives and the car's sensors.

That takes Terabytes.

It's bad enough my phone tells big tech where I go, I don't need my car doing it too. That's how they get ya!

Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
GM execs are pissed off that Tesla has so much Stonks money. The Super Cruise mapping plan is so much better than what Telsa's do for autonomous driving they are hoping it will make them all rich.

People that say they'll "never buy an autonomous car", will buy an autonomous car when all their neighbors have one and every where they go is mapped and the car can go pick up their kids from school. GM will own the maps and will sell the "Big Data" to someone to offset the price of the car, so Chezy Sonics will soon have the technology after a Cadillac rollout.

Bob Lutz is "the man" so I have no reason not to doubt him.

GM will find a way to screw it up, however.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
GM execs are pissed off that Tesla has so much Stonks money. The Super Cruise mapping plan is so much better than what Telsa's do for autonomous driving they are hoping it will make them all rich.

People that say they'll "never buy an autonomous car", will buy an autonomous car when all their neighbors have one and every where they go is mapped and the car can go pick up their kids from school. GM will own the maps and will sell the "Big Data" to someone to offset the price of the car, so Chezy Sonics will soon have the technology after a Cadillac rollout.

Bob Lutz is "the man" so I have no reason not to doubt him.

GM will find a way to screw it up, however.

You think people will even have a choice once autonomous cars hit the market? Once there are self driving cars, manually driven cars will be banned from public roads. Elon Musk has said he wants to ban all manually driven cars as he considers them death machines. Autonomous cars will be the end of hotrodding. Maybe they might allow tracks where you can have your old car transported to drive, or you might have to house it there like with horses which will be expensive. Autonomous cars will operate better if all the other cars are autonomous too, human drivers are too much of an random variable. It would also follow the current engineering trend of removing human agency.

Auto experts are predicting that in 20 years people won't even own cars anymore. That self driving cars will be B2B products for ride share firms which everyone will use. The future of hotrodding will likely be VR in your pod as you drink soy and eat bugs, and you will like it.

• Sad

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You think people will even have a choice once autonomous cars hit the market? Once there are self driving cars, manually driven cars will be banned from public roads. Elon Musk has said he wants to ban all manually driven cars as he considers them death machines. Autonomous cars will be the end of hotrodding. Maybe they might allow tracks where you can have your old car transported to drive, or you might have to house it there like with horses which will be expensive. Autonomous cars will operate better if all the other cars are autonomous too, human drivers are too much of an random variable. It would also follow the current engineering trend of removing human agency.

Auto experts are predicting that in 20 years people won't even own cars anymore. That self driving cars will be B2B products for ride share firms which everyone will use. The future of hotrodding will likely be VR in your pod as you drink soy and eat bugs, and you will like it.

That may well work just fine in an overcrowded big city but it ain't gonna fly for folks who live out in the middle of BFE, Nevada hundreds of miles from civilization.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor