GM 8-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CUT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2020
The 8 speed problems seem to be software related according to 86CUT . He replaced the TCM and added a tune; all is mostly good in the 19 ZR1.
Therefore, it should be an easy fix for GM as they can throw the tune out over OnStar, not requiring a dealer visit. Just ask 69hurstolds
It does shift a lot bette indeed, BUT when its cold that is where it gets a little suspect with shifting even in Sport mode.

There has got to be a another MOD that can be done to handle this situation. Would be interestinsting to see if adding more fluid would help this issue as well?

Reactions: 1 user

86CUT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2020
It is unreal that this affects all the high end GM vehicles that are $70K-150K, makes no damn sense they won't get this settled QUICKLY.
My Red Head sl*t has had similar issues.
RED HEAD.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
So as I read through the posts, I wonder, so why are we keeping these G-bodies alive?....
Why? Because they look good. How? By replacing everything from gauges to tires and radiator to fuel tank with much better stuff than they came with. Some even completely reweld and re-engineer the frame. Why is all of that needed? We can’t stand driving that crap any more.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
All you guys complaining, surprised you're not driving a Ford and on a Mustang forum. SMDH

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 8 speed problems seem to be software related according to 86CUT . He replaced the TCM and added a tune; all is mostly good in the 19 ZR1.
Therefore, it should be an easy fix for GM as they can throw the tune out over OnStar, not requiring a dealer visit. Just ask 69hurstolds
Wait a minute. I'm not 100% SURE about all that. All I know is that out of the blue, the car (2020 CT5-VSeries) acted like an iPhone the other day requesting a software update to happen. I'm like WTF? So I delayed it via the touchscreen. So in order for the download to happen, you have to accept it, turn the car off, but it keeps the infotainment screen powered up and it locks the car down saying it cannot move, and no power accessories will work until the download is complete. Takes several minutes and you can go ahead and leave the car when it happens. I chose to stay and watch. It has a download progress bar and goes into minimum power mode (screen gets darker) during the download. Once it's done, it turns the power to the screen off like normal.

Now, the thing I am NOT sure of if it was simply BCM updates or if it could have been connected to the drivetrain software. I read something in the manuals about navigation map updates, I do recall an article I read on the Blackwing CT5-V development where GM would have the ability to update drivetrain or other vehicle software via OnStar which would almost make it impossible to do a performance tune unless you redesigned a lot of computerized junk. Is that here already? I dunno. Not even sure how much of that article was true anyway about drivetrain updates.

But I did find this from the CT5 information from GM...(note the last sentence in the first paragraph. Reads like a bad translation from some other language. :) ) What are they not telling us?

5. The flexibility to upgrade car tech features for years to come

The CT5 will be the first vehicle from Cadillac to come with the new digital architecture, enabling the vehicle to handle vast amounts of data, as high as 4.5 terabytes per hour! This is essential as our vehicles become more connect.

With an expanded capacity and over the air software updates, car owners can remotely upgrade the car’s high-tech features, active safety and Super Cruise Drive assistance features.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Our 2017 Dodge Challenger GT has had very few issues, just over 50K. Basically the horn didn't work and almost nothing else in that time. The Uconnect freezes every now and then and it needed new batteries in the remote. The 3.6 Pentastar is quite, powerful and solid, unlike the 3.5 in our other Challenger and the ZF8 8 speed is great. It tows well and sport mode is fun.
Other than styling on a lot, new vehicles are so much better than cars of the past. Look 200 hp is nothing for a 4 cyl and 300 hp for a V6 and everything is massively more fuel efficient. As said, the 68 to 72 cars from the big 3 hit the styling pinnacle. I saw a mid 60's base Pontiac 2 door, it was a blah square. The 66/67 cars were better than the previous years for styling, Bruce's 67 Olds is a good example. The 70's cars were ugly and terrible, the Oldsmobile powered ones were the most reliable. The 80's was better than the 70's but it doesn't say much. After that, GM especially sh*t the bed. Anytime GM came out with something decent, they would give it questionable styling, the GTO and many others or fatal flaws like the 4th Gen Firebird/Camaro, the 4L60E and 7 5/8" rear, come on GM, in something that started at 275 hp! GM's current styling is just beyond ugly, nearly it's whole product line makes me ill just looking at them. Ford and Dodge trucks look so much better along with the rest of their line up. Oh and GM dumping that great new hot V twin turbo Blackwing V8, rather than introducing it across multiple lines to make it more affordable to build shows how ridiculous that company has become.

• Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Wait a minute. I'm not 100% SURE about all that. All I know is that out of the blue, the car (2020 CT5-VSeries) acted like an iPhone the other day requesting a software update to happen. I'm like WTF? So I delayed it via the touchscreen. So in order for the download to happen, you have to accept it, turn the car off, but it keeps the infotainment screen powered up and it locks the car down saying it cannot move, and no power accessories will work until the download is complete. Takes several minutes and you can go ahead and leave the car when it happens. I chose to stay and watch. It has a download progress bar and goes into minimum power mode (screen gets darker) during the download. Once it's done, it turns the power to the screen off like normal.

Now, the thing I am NOT sure of if it was simply BCM updates or if it could have been connected to the drivetrain software. I read something in the manuals about navigation map updates, I do recall an article I read on the Blackwing CT5-V development where GM would have the ability to update drivetrain or other vehicle software via OnStar which would almost make it impossible to do a performance tune unless you redesigned a lot of computerized junk. Is that here already? I dunno. Not even sure how much of that article was true anyway about drivetrain updates.

But I did find this from the CT5 information from GM...(note the last sentence in the first paragraph. Reads like a bad translation from some other language. :) ) What are they not telling us?
here is what they meant to say. "This is essential as our vehicles become more woke." :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor