GN cooling fan won’t turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
The fan on my brothers 87 grand national does not turn on. I have checked the fuse under the dash. I also checked the relays by grounding the green wire by the intake I can hear them click but the fan won’t turn on. I have tried to put power directly to the fan and the fan will turn on but only when plugged in one way. I don’t know what to check next. Any help would be appreciated. Is the fan toast? Thanks

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
One is the feed and the other is the load. A quick explanation of a standard automotive relay: 2 pins- (85 & 86) are the coil aka the "light" side. One goes to ground, one goes to hot, and they throw the "heavy" side aka the switch (normally open 30 & 87, normally closed 87a & 87, 30 is normally the feed).
So, if you can't trigger a relay on the light/coil side, jumper across the heavy/switch side to eliminate it as part of the troubleshooting process. If your desired accessory works while jumped out, start looking at the relay itself or the trigger side.
You said grounding the green wire wouldn't kick it on, so you need to verify voltage on the other side of the coil to rule out the light/coil side.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have read that problem cannot be repaired on a GN and to help your brother out you should give him a few hundred to take the problem off his hands... :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
I did offer a few hundred but he said no 😔. If I fix it I get to drive it. So that's a win.

I tried bypassing both of the relays fan doesn't kick on. It also seems that when grounding the green wire under the intake only one relay clicks. I tried swapping them and only one clicks when grounding the green wire. Any other suggestions? Thanks

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
I have not. To be honest I don’t even know where that would be. Where is it located. Thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor