GNX jacket value

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Then why hasn't it? Or did it? Anyone know? It languished for over a year, this we already know.
For something like this, you have a limited number of potential buyers (someone who owns a GNX but does not have the jacket). You may have to wait for the right buyer to come along.

My point is....for someone seriously in the market for a jacket, they would not bat an eye at $1,850.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
this is the equivalent of driving a jeep or a corvette.next thing you know you're waving to other people that drive one.

Easiest way to avoid this is to buy a C4 Vette. Nobody waves at them.

Actually, a guy in a C6 used to wave at me when I had my 92, he worked at the airport across the street from my workplace.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
For something like this, you have a limited number of potential buyers (someone who owns a GNX but does not have the jacket). You may have to wait for the right buyer to come along.

My point is....for someone seriously in the market for a jacket, they would not bat an eye at $1,850.
Don't forget, you may also have some people that own them that bought used and aren't even aware the jacket exists. I know that may be hard to believe, but just because you have disposable income doesn't mean you're knowledgeable about what you buy and own. I've ran into several people that had an 84 H/O and didn't know they only made 3500 of them. And I've run into people with tons of $$ and were clueless about lots of things you wouldn't think they would be (kind way of saying they were a rich dumbazz).

Going by your point, then nobody is that serious then since it didn't get purchased right away, or even as yet, depending on whether it sold or not. Which if not, it means the price is still too high. Supply and demand rules the day on every sale. Someone seriously looking for one would have found it by now because I'm sure everyone in the GN world has at least looked at TB.com and they would have had to find out where they were. Or was able to find one at a better price. I'm not wholly convinced of your analysis, although it has plausible merit. People that have money usually know how to make it. But I'm not convinced it will "easily" sell for the asking price. AFAIK, it hasn't.

I could see that price if the jacket was somehow linked closer with the car, such as the car number was embroidered in as well (I wish they would have been because that would be pretty cool). Or an actual unobtanium part for the car. But it's not. It's a piece of swag. A rare one, but for $1850, I could probably get someone to make me a NEW clone of it. Folks with tons of $$ usually have a tailor anyway who can make this happen. And if I'm wearing it, likely nobody would know it was a clone. I don't have a dog in this hunt, because I don't need that jacket, or I'd have already tried to negotiate a sale price a long while back. And of course, emotions have absolutely no place in my pricing evaluation. I don't always look at TB.com, but when I do, I'm looking for cross over parts that fits Cutlass too... :)

I see the price tag as still too high based on the data available. But I also see the value due to rarity needing to elevate the price tag as well. And something like this jacket is kind of tough to get the right value since there's a very limited supply and sales data to come to a relateable price point. Since demand is largely dependent on price, the seller may not be motivated enough to sell, since $2500, or even "slashed" to $1850 seems to be the asking price and it still hasn't moved to my knowledge. And if they don't need the money, then whether is actually sells or not is of no consequence. The buyer will always be the one to determine the actual sale price, because this is the direction from which the money flows. If they wanted to pay $2500 for it, which someone with a lot of money easily could, it would have been gone already. The fact the price was lowered after a year exhibits, to me, the original tag price suppressed demand.

There's always a butt for every seat, or a back for every jacket, so at this price, someone may stumble into it and buy it for the asking price. There's always that ONE guy...and all it takes is one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
An enterprising individual would import a bunch of Chinese knockoffs, so all the black car enthusiasts could have one.
I could see that ad now:

"Jacket with logo very look nice. Make you joy when wearing. Color in black. Buyers look good when wearing. Flap pocket on jacket name car. Buy now before too late. These sell at price fast! 赶快买" (translation: "Hurry up and buy!")

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
this is the equivalent of driving a jeep or a corvette.next thing you know you're waving to other people that drive one.
I own both and don't wave but when I do they just had there a$$ handed to them on a silver platter. Its going to be hard to put real value on those jackets, there were alot more made than the car. The owner of the dealer I worked for his two sons had those jackets on every day and they didnt own a GNX but drove GN's. I do recall that those jackets were not numbered to the car, the owner paid extra for that. Would someone pay 1K or more for jacket that's unique to the car, I say yes no different than someone paying 1K or more for LR shifters.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Back in the late 80s (yes I was there and racing a 1970 455 Skylark) the Grand National guys looked down there noses at the T-type guys, even though they were only about $1000 more expensive and typical a bit slower. The T-type guys street raced every weekend and the GN guys sat there cleaning their cars. When I went to the GS Nationals for years it was just as evident. I never knew anyone with a GNX but I assume it was more of the same.

That is the type of arrogance that makes a jacket worth $2K.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor