GNX rear seat brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't write that to scare anyone out of tackling some welding. I was just pointing out that it would take more time and involve having to cut out and redo the spot welds, etc. More of a PITA than drilling a few holes and putting in what likely would be the same weight X rods. Which the X rods may get you closer to your goal of reducing flex. I do think if you welded the bracing in, it would be stronger than the X rods. But at least you have several options. It just depends on how far you want to go.

or just buy a GP..... :popcorn:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Best one on the market is the Tin Man brace that Kirban's sells. It is the closest to the factory style used on the GNX. https://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/416/GNX+REAR+SEAT+BRACE+#7169.html

Best how?

Having Dennis Kirbangyouinthebuttwithvendormarkup for $200 isn't my idea of a good time.

You could literally smash the ends of some electrical conduit flat, drill six holes, jam five bolts through the holes into the body, and be the whole way home for pennies.

Pretty sure there are tutorials on this going back to the mailing list days. Peak capitalism is making people really weak (mentally and physically).

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Best how?

Having Dennis Kirbangyouinthebuttwithvendormarkup for $200 isn't my idea of a good time.

You could literally smash the ends of some electrical conduit flat, drill six holes, jam five bolts through the holes into the body, and be the whole way home for pennies.

Pretty sure there are tutorials on this going back to the mailing list days. Peak capitalism is making people really weak (mentally and physically).
STFU, Popeye! And get back to your training. :)

And you keep forgetting...it's... "Well, Blow me DOWN! " You keep forgetting to say DOWN!

Arm Day Popeye.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Best how?

I know Dennis and live not far from him. I don't think the price is out of line. I like the Tin Man brace as the profile is thinner than the electrical conduit. I also like it because it looks more original than the electrical conduit. We are all welcome to our opinions but I stand by my original statement but thanks for your $.02

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I know Dennis and live not far from him. I don't think the price is out of line. I like the Tin Man brace as the profile is thinner than the electrical conduit. I also like it because it looks more original than the electrical conduit. We are all welcome to our opinions but I stand by my original statement but thanks for your $.02

How does being the man's neighbour factor into the equation of "best" rear seat brace?

Did you guys torture test one in the backseat of his car?

And I was being partially sarcastic about the conduit. I say partially only because not everyone is resourced for a $200 option, and it is acceptable to everyone who isn't a snob swinging from an old man's nuts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
How does being the man's neighbour factor into the equation of "best" rear seat brace?

Did you guys torture test one in the backseat of his car?

And I was being partially sarcastic about the conduit. I say partially only because not everyone is resourced for a $200 option, and it is acceptable to everyone who isn't a snob swinging from an old man's nuts.

Well first off, I made the statement about knowing Dennis as a matter of respect. Knowing him personally means that I am not going to sit behind a key board and insult the guy. He is in business to make money like many of us that are self employed. If you don't like the price or the part mark up; then don't buy.
Secondly, I paid $160 for the Tin Man brace 5 years ago. It was a high quality set up and has a lot more anchor points than the electrical conduit. I also like the OEM look and the thinner profile. I do a lot of custom fabrication on my own, but at $160 it wasn't worth my time fabricating and tracking materials down. There are other people who feel the same way. If they didn't then Dennis or the guy at Tin Man wouldn't make them any more. But my second statement was the reason why I felt it was the best and not being "a snob swinging from an old man's nut".

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Irregardless of whatever your preference is, aftermarket or home built, as long as the piece does it’s job and does it well is all that should matter.

I could make my own GNX style brace, but I’d have to make it out of thicker gauge material than would really be necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Irregardless of whatever your preference is, aftermarket or home built, as long as the piece does it’s job and does it well is all that should matter.

I could make my own GNX style brace, but I’d have to make it out of thicker gauge material than would really be necessary.
The Tin Man brace is roughly .060" at the upper attachment point and .125" at the bottom. So it is at least as thick as the existing braces/reinforcements that it attaches to.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor