Going 95 Cadillac LT1 into a 84 Monte SS!!! Need Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2010
Hey every one im going with a 95 Cadillac Lt1 Fleetwood Motor into my 84 monte ss!!! i have everything in and step but the wirirng. Can anyone and i mean any help Me OUT????

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Are you trying to rework a factory style wiring harness or are you wanting recommendations on aftermarket harnesses. Please be a little more specific than *help me with my wiring*. We need ideas on which direction you're headed.

Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for replying back quicky but yes i want to wire the lt1 wiring into straight to monte carlo i have no i deal but i know it can be done ive seen too many!! s

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
There are guys on Pro-Touring.com, MalibuRacing.com. and I'd say MonteCarloSS.com among other sites who's done this swap. I did a TPI swap and used an afternarket Howell harness because I didn't have a factory harness available at the time. I'm not sure if the Caddy LT1 harness is a standalone or integrated into the cars existing wiring.

The best thing I'd recommend is to get the Helm's manuals for each specific car, both the Monte and the Caddy. Helms makes the manuals for the factories, at least they did for the g-bodies of our era. That way you can run each wire from the Cad to the same location in the Monte. Some companies also have a service where you send both harnesses and they'll intregrate one inot another, such as what you may need.

I know this isn't much help but maybe it will head you down the correct path.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
86Cutlass383SR said:
I'm not sure if the Caddy LT1 harness is a standalone or integrated into the cars existing wiring.
They don't even come close to being standalone. I've done a few LT1 swaps -- 2 with aftermarket harnesses and 1 using a modified factory harness (Caprice/Impala). If you have limited experience with electrical work I strongly suggest an aftermarket harness. Most are well marked and come with directions for all hook-ups. They also have auxiliary fuse/relay panels and many can be ordered "extra long" so you can locate the ECM under the dash or even under the seat. If you really think you want to modify the factory (Cadillac) harness and integrate it into your car's body harness get a wiring diagram for the Cadillac and one for your car. A 1995 ECM should be OBD1 and can be reflashed to eliminate some of the systems such as A/C, air injection, PS load, EGR, evap, etc. Also be aware that the factory harness and ECM utilizes a VATS system that will not allow your car to start unless you address it. Good luck.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I didn't really foresee them being standalone but not knowing for sure I couldn't say. I know even on TPI the harnesses were integrated about 88 or 89.

I agree, no insult intended, but if you have to ask how hard the wiring would be, then it'll be beyond the average car crafter. An aftermarket harness would basically be plug and play with only a few wires for grounds, keyed 12v, 12v in run, instrument panel, and fuel pump, etc. All sensor wires will only go 1 place.

8T7SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
Ok I'm doing the same thing only my car is a 87 SS. I would strongly suggest a aftermarket wiring harness from Painless.
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webc ... ield=60502
60502 is the part # and they are rather expensive. $700.00 from Jegs.comes with the VATS module. If you have the Cadi still and want to save $ go and use the harness from the Fleetwood go to Helm.com and order a GM service manual set for the Cadi or ask a buddy that may work at a shop and get the wiring diagram from Mitchell or Alldata. I just marked all the wires and connectors as I unhooked everything. take your time doing that and that will pay off. I also kept the electrical center from the rt inner fender. The only difference is that the PCM is in the left front corner for the engine area ... and the ECM on the Monte is behind the rt lower kick panel so ..... might want to keep the air cleaner housing from the Cadi also. Remember that this is no easy project and will not be done in a weekend.
You can also send you PCM in and have it reprogramed for what you going to need and be using. like no security system (VATS), no air pump, mods to the engine and so on. That will cost around 200.00 depending on who does it. what they will do is send you one set up for your car and refurbish yours for the next guy.
Oh by the way MY Cadi LT1 engine was a 2 bolt main that was kinda dissapointing but oh well.
Have fun hope this helps ya
send me a PM and i'll e mail you

8T7SS

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
One more thing you should know, not all companies reflash ECMs equally. My dad sent one of his to Street & Performance. It ran okay but not great. When he swapped his stock Fleetwood ECM back in it ran smoother and got better MPG but the CEL would stay on. When he added his Paxton it took less than 1000 miles to burn a piston. While we had the engine out to repair, he sent the ECM somewhere else to have it reprogrammed for the supercharger. It was then that we found out, from the second guy, that S&P had "turned off" most sensors (including MAF) and added timing but no fuel. I'm not saying that they caused the failure -- but they sure didn't help it any :roll: . Ask LOTS of questions when dealing with a tuner.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 213

Major_Bill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 8, 2010
Re: Going 95 Cadillac LT1 into a 84 Monte SS!!! Need Help!!!

driven, who did your take it o cause i live in arkansas and i had at Street and perfromance in to make me a harnes and reflash my computer

8T7SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
LT1 into a 84 Monte SS!!! Need Help!!!!

check with your local parts stores. Some of them may have the ability to reflash your PCM but with a fatory program. If you want tweaking like removing the theft fuel enable signal then most likely you will have to send your PCM somewhere like here http://www.lt1swap.com/programming.htm tell him what ya got and hell hook ya up. for 75.00 plus S/H thats a good price.
I'm almost done with my LT1 swapto my 87 and I am using the stock wiring harness that I cleaned up and the PCM and program from a retired 1995 Caprice 9C1 police car. I'll up load the buen out viedo when I'm done. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor