Going to look at '84 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
im going to look at a '84 monte carlo next week and was wondering if there was anything besides the usual rust areas to look out for. I plan on dropping my 355 sbc and TH350 in it. will i need a new crossmember for the transmission btw?

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
loudvolvo said:
im going to look at a '84 monte carlo next week and was wondering if there was anything besides the usual rust areas to look out for. I plan on dropping my 355 sbc and TH350 in it. will i need a new crossmember for the transmission btw?

If your planning on swaping out the drive train then just the body, interior, brakes and steering components should be all you need to look at. As far as the crossmemeber goes it depends on what trans is in it now and if you plan on dual exhaust. If it has a 3 speed auto in it now then the cross member should work. If you want true dauls then you should change to one of the double hump cross members.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
just check it over real close for rust in the body and rear frame rails. if the monte has an OD transmission, youll need a different crossmember. if it has a 3spd, itll be ok but youll have to notch it or replace it if you put duals on it. id go with one of these... http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor