Good used GN / HO axle shaft (s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I rebuilt my GN axle with a 30-spline Auburn and matching Moser axles. I saved the stock axle shafts to adapt my original 7.5 to use a Torsen limited slip I found in a boneyard axle. I had to turn the ends down a bit to make them fit the central block in the Torsen.

After the doing the machine work, I finally noticed that the bearing surface on one of the axles was done for. I made a snap decision and bought another pair of 8.5 Moser 28-spline axles, but I have decided that they are too good for the contraption I have built. If I change my mind after turning them down to fit, they would be hard to liquidate again.

So, I have a $260 pair of uninstalled Moser axles new in the box from Summit. If you can provide a pair of undamaged used GN / HO 28- spline axles, make me an offer for mine. We can split the deal between two interested parties as needed. Please provide photos of your axle shafts, or one good axle if that's what you have.
GN Axles.JPG

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Hey Quinn ,
You know I've been contemplating what I should do. I have an 8.5 out of a wrecked Gn. I've had it sitting around for almost 15 years and just recently started working on it. I pulled the axle tube out of another rear end and took the axle tube out of the 8.5. I had my buddy put the 8.5 back together. Now the 8.5 is all back together except the axles. I have one good axle and one bent one. So I wasn't sure if I could find a good used one or just buy some Mosers . timo22

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I've had one PM for a pair, but they're installed on the car at the moment so it will be a pain to get the pictorial details I need to negotiate.
I also have a truck 8.5 with a good posi and 4.10s in it, just holding up a trash trailer at the moment. I'd have to pull an axle and count splines but it's likely a 28-spline from about 1979 or so.

I'm looking to maximize the cash back on this deal, and I really only need one, so...

How did you remove an replace the tube? I heard you have to heat the whole cast differential to make those plug welds properly. Ditto if you follow the advice to put a 'peace of mind' bead around the axle tube where it emerges from the pumpkin.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
image.jpeg
Quinn,
I left that to a pro. He builds custom bikes and race cars. I wasn't there when he welded it up but he did in fact weld the tubes to the housing. The 7.5. Posi in my car now has welded tubes also but those welds look nothing like the welds my buddy did. He is magic. When he builds custom bikes, he doesn't start with a frame, he starts with tubing. Makes the gas, oil tanks and seats. I wish I had 25% of his talent.
I was kinda hoping maybe someone would have some spare factory 8.5 axles laying around, thinking maybe they upgraded. Well I have one if the other guy doesn't work out.
timo22

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
Timo22, Where did you get the axle tube from another gbody 8.5? Or would an axle tube out of a 7.5 fit?

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I used an axle tube out of a 7.5. It was the same diameter as the 8.5. It was real easy to get the tube out of the 7.5. I cut the 7.5 housing with a portable bandsaw and cracked the cast flange with a hammer. It literally fell off the tube. A little grinding and it was ready to go. Now getting the axle out of the 8.5 without screwing up the housing was the hard part. Ended up torching the welds out and a sawzall to cut reliefs and collapse it. Then I just punched it out from the inside. My fab buddy has a rear end bar and bushings and a GBody rear frame to line up everything before he welded it back together. timo22

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
And now some actual photos. Note that there are no wheel studs, but Moser drilled them for press-in and screw-in studs. (I pressed in two sets of ARP 100-7708 studs on my 30-spline set to support a LS1 disc brake conversion.)
DSCN6663.JPG DSCN6664.JPG DSCN6665.JPG

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I found a single. I know this is an advert in the technical section, but hopefully others may find the data useful. If you have a pair of these with good bearing surfaces, splines and C-clip groove, offer them for sale to use with a 98-2002 F-body 28-spline Torsen limited slip. It's necessary to take 0.080 off the inner ends and modify a pair of C-clips - either open up 7.5s for the larger 8.5 retainer groove diameter or cut down 8.5s to fit the smaller outer diameter in the Torsen. Summit factors the shipping into their price - shipping three foot long chunks of steel is not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor