Grand national 8.5 10 bolt value

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Hi all, this is my first post and hope it’s in the right stop, but.... my question is I’m looking at a rear end that is a 8.5 10 bolt that came out of a grand national. I’m just not sure of the value of it with and without a posi unit. They are wanting $1500 and it’s supposedly a posi with 3.42 gears. Any help as to the value of these rears would be much appreciated. Thx

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Really the question is: Is it worth $1500 to YOU?

I've never seen one for sale locally, so I have no idea what they bring in my area. Some parts of the country have more turn up than others.

Reactions: 1 user

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Really the question is: Is it worth $1500 to YOU?

I've never seen one for sale locally, so I have no idea what they bring in my area. Some parts of the country have more turn up than others.
If it’s a posi I’m going for it since it’s a direct bolt in With no mods. I’ve never came across one in my area either but definitely want the 7.5 gone. Just trying really to figure if it’s not a posi what I should offer for it. Cause I’m not giving $1500 and the have to put in a posi unit. I would think for that price I could go with a moser 12 bolt for it. But like you I’ve never came across one to see what they’re going for ? They’re like needles in a haystack!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just because it has a limited slip in it doesn't mean it's still good. Might want to factor that in. Really, the value is in the housing, and being a direct-ish swap if internals are good. Still will have to address driveshaft length.

Is 3.42 the gear you want?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
Just because it has a limited slip in it doesn't mean it's still good. Might want to factor that in. Really, the value is in the housing, and being a direct-ish swap if internals are good. Still will have to address driveshaft length.

Is 3.42 the gear you want?
I would prefer a 3.73 but I could live with the 3.42 for now. As for the driveshaft, I have a local driveshaft company that said they would build me one for $250. I just finally finished my ls swap and have my transmission ready. Just need the rear end now. And I’ll give to the man selling it. It looks super good. But yeah I understand that’s the risk you take when buying used parts.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
For $1500 I'd ask for the driveshaft.

If it's a non posi, but is supposed to be untouched low mileage it will have aluminum drums which have a resale value of a couple hundred bucks.

I always sold the alum drums and swapped on cheap steel units. Hairline microcracks in the alum scared me so if the racers cared and would take the risk... I'd gladly take their money. Easily clear 150 in profit + have fresh steel drums = win in my book.

Other than that, part of it is condition.

- does it need a brake job?
- is the housing heavily pitted?
- spring perches rotted?
- control arm rubber eyelets worn out and sloppy?
- steel brake line corroded?

For $1500 none of those should be at issue, should be posi, and should have driveshaft.

For $1000 it should be non posi, none of above issues, good resellable alum drums, and driveshaft.

Pegleg, good shape, no driveshaft, steel drums is $600 territory, 750 if you want it bad.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

79 malibuls

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2021
Rushville Ohio
For $1500 I'd ask for the driveshaft.

If it's a non posi, but is supposed to be untouched low mileage it will have aluminum drums which have a resale value of a couple hundred bucks.

I always sold the alum drums and swapped on cheap steel units. Hairline microcracks in the alum scared me so if the racers cared and would take the risk... I'd gladly take their money. Easily clear 150 in profit + have fresh steel drums = win in my book.

Other than that, part of it is condition.

- does it need a brake job?
- is the housing heavily pitted?
- spring perches rotted?
- control arm rubber eyelets worn out and sloppy?
- steel brake line corroded?

For $1500 none of those should be at issue, should be posi, and should have driveshaft.

For $1000 it should be non posi, none of above issues, good resellable alum drums, and driveshaft.

Pegleg, good shape, no driveshaft, steel drums is $600 territory, 750 if you want it bad.
I appreciate you feedback! None of those are an issue, but I do know that they don’t have the driveshaft.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think if you stop and add up all the costs, including the gearset (+setup) that you want, there are better options than a 40 year old unknown quality rear, despite it's being a "bolt-in".

UNLESS you're one of those "No Ford parts on my GM car" guys

If you want an easy install, and can live with the gear, knowing you'll spend a fair amount if/when you decide you need more gear, it is an attractive proposition.

Glad mine doesn't need one, that money is earmarked for other things.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I think if you stop and add up all the costs, including the gearset (+setup) that you want, there are better options than a 40 year old unknown quality rear, despite it's being a "bolt-in".

UNLESS you're one of those "No Ford parts on my GM car" guys

If you want an easy install, and can live with the gear, knowing you'll spend a fair amount if/when you decide you need more gear, it is an attractive proposition.

Glad mine doesn't need one, that money is earmarked for other things.
Fwiw, let's be fair.... 40 year old is stretching it a bit... based on production numbers the 8.5 is more likely closer to an 86/87 unit making it 33/4 years old rather than 40... considering they weren't even made for a gbody yet 40 yrs ago ;)

But, I'm running a 7 decade old unopened original 12 bolt in one of my trucks thats worked like crazy, so, I've also got a streak towards living dangerously I suppose :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
That's an average asking price for them. Not a great deal, but not out of the ballpark either. They are kind of hard to come by and IMO, one of the best cheapest upgrades for our cars. Ford 9" usually runs around 3k all said and done.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor