Grand national brake fluid leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2011
Hey im new here, bought a 1985 grand national the other day. But i have one problem, the rear brake fluid is leaking out and causing the rear brakes to not work. Any suggestions on what it might be?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like it's the brake cylinder, it's a common problem with the cylinders as they get old...

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
+2 pull the back break drums if the insides are wet buy new cyl. Buy s10 rear cyl they are better then the stock gns. Better holding power.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
chevy2480 said:
+2 pull the back break drums if the insides are wet buy new cyl. Buy s10 rear cyl they are better then the stock gns. Better holding power.
x3----------While your at it you might just as well replace the brake shoes and hardwear. Congrats on your score. Post some pics when ya can..Btw, welcome to GBF 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
chevy2480 said:

the S10 cylinders have a larger piston if you get them from a manual brake S-10...the 83's came with manual brakes

Nico6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks guys, checked it out and replaced both rear brake cylinders. Works good now, was still considering rear disk brakes though to. Will post pictures soon.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
When I did the manual s-10 brake cylinder upgrade it held better on the line which made for better 60 foots & ETs at the track. The down side was a panic stop especially in the rain would make the back brakes lock up so heads up. Test your car and find out. You can fix this if its a problem by adding a proportioning valve. At the time I also added both long soft shoes so that probably also contributed. I had a buddy with an 85 Ttype who wanted to get the license plate "uncool" since it did not have the intercooler. You can get them to go as fast as 12.9s at about 106 mph without getting into expensive mods & fabrication. Seen them go a lot faster with lots of money & work.

I added Razor's methanol/water injection kit and it was the single best upgrade I ever did. It would be even more beneficial for a hot air car. He has a website and posts often at www.turbobuicks.com. Great guy and super with tech support. Also check out www.gnttype.org for troubleshooting, recepies, scantool info, etc. One thing different about these cars compared to old school naturally aspirated cars is that you CANNOT turn up the boost etc and fly in the blind. You need to get a scantool and learn how to use it or you will frustrate yourself and burn sh*t up. Have fun with it.

Nico6

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2011
Re: Grand national

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at putting a intercooler in also. DO you think this is a worth while investment? and if i upgrade the turbo what kind of turbo should i put in? or is there better ways to upgrade the car that are more beneficial? Thanks agian

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
If you have the ability to fabricate ie torch & weld IF needed AND IF you can find all the neccessary turbo pipeing & brackets etc off say a wrecked GN for cheap than yes. Otherwise to the best of my knowledge no. Unless somebody has some type of conversion that I am unaware of or you are just prepared to fabricate & build whatever you need. Eitherway intercooler or not if it were mine I would use a methanol/water injection system. Buick almost did it as there is even a light in your instrument cluster pannel for it. But Buick could not warranty running more boost and people forgetting to fill their water tank and detonating it. If your factory turbo is working fine leave it as it can easily take you into the 12s even without an intercooler. Even with an intercooler you can't safely get past 17psi boost on only 93 octane. Where in comes race gas, Xylene gasoline homebrew, or methanol/alcohol/water injection. Race gas or a Xylene mix get expensive because you use it anytime the engine is running. Injection is set up to only come on a WOT after crossing X boost so you only use it when you need it. Unless you drag race it daily a few gallons will last all summer.

Scan tool, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, threaded waste gate rod or sometype of boost controller, & a boost guage. You need these relatively inexpensive essentials first or you will frustrate yourself with bad results and broken parts. Then maybe a chip, downpipe, & a "testpipe" in place of your cat converter. The "temporary test pipe" should not be welded in so that a police road check sniffer can't ticket you for it and or not having a cat converter. Rust holes in pipeing, weak turbo pipeing connection hose or their clamps, and dry rotted vacuum hoses or other vacuum leaks are common problems but usually an inexpensive easy fix once diagnosed. When the boost goes up it will blow past factory or weak up pipe hoses or clamps. 20psi is a lot of pressure.

Naturally you can't have bad plugs, wires, coil pak, ignition module or a weak fuel pump etc but at this point with tuneing and traction you could reach for some 12.90s. Still have little money into mods and still getting 20+mpg with AC cruise control & powerbrakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor