Grand National rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zugisland

n00b
Aug 7, 2013
Ive been looking to purchase a GN rear for my 85 Monte ss. Ive read most came with posi and decent gears but run 800-900 bucks if you can find one. Should I just put the 3:73 and carrier in the stock rear? Ive never done a gear or carrier change before.
Thanks

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Zugisland said:
Ive been looking to purchase a GN rear for my 85 Monte ss. Ive read most came with posi and decent gears but run 800-900 bucks if you can find one. Should I just put the 3:73 and carrier in the stock rear? Ive never done a gear or carrier change before.
Thanks

Changing out the carrier is relatively easy. I've done a handfull of them and have never had to do any extra work to shim and set the back lash correctly. If you find a good used posi carrier, its likely that it will bolt right in to your 7.5". I've found several in the yards over the years. Make sure you check the back lash and that it is within acceptable tolerance! You need a dial indicator with a magnetic base both of which you can buy cheap at Harbour Frieght. There are a bunch of youtube tutorials out there....check it out.

If your pushing big power, get an 8.5 our of a 442, HO, or Turbo regal. The 7.5" will take more abuse than you might think but if you hook hard with drag radials and have 300 hp or more I would start to worry about grenading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor