grand national spoiler install ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

84rust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2010
college station, texas
hi everybody its been a long road on my project. i maneged to pick up a original 3 pc grandnational spoiler from craigslist and am in need of mesurements of where to drill the holes in my trunk i do not want to mess the trunk up with trial and error so if anybody can help that would be awesome.

84rust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2010
college station, texas
ok guys i did what i feared and will have pics up how bad it was

Attachments

• IMAG0107.jpg
    IMAG0107.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,943

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Did you already drill it?

I put a GN spoiler on my stock Regal trunklid. I put the side pieces on first - no guesswork. Then I closed the trunk and placed the spoiler as close to center as possible and then just wiggled it around on there for like 30 seconds. Voila! The bolts left scratch marks exactly where I needed to drill the holes.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Easiest way is to place masking tape on the deck lid and once in position push down slightly and there will be marks left in the tape.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I got one of those cheap spoilers from ebay, the corner pieces were held on with 3M tape. The tape was crap, so I used pop-rivets to attach the corner pieces. when I go to paint the car I will hide them..

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
All good suggestions for installing the spoiler. I usually use masking tape and press the studs on to it to show me where to drill. Pretty straight forward from there.
84 rust- you said you had to redrill some holes, make sure you seal them off or you will end up with water in your trunk. Should put a little sealer around the studs anyway to help fight a waterleak.

anakputa said:
I got one of those cheap spoilers from <A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.ebay.com/" rel=nofollow target=_blank vglnk_1319030245275="2">ebay</A>, the corner pieces were held on with 3M tape. The tape was crap, so I used pop-rivets to attach the corner pieces. when I go to paint the car I will hide them..
I don't know if I would trust the rivets to much especially after paint. Have seen rivets comes lose after a while and end up seeing the head of them through the paint. Some good strong 3M double sided tape or mount some bolts with some good two part epoxy, Norton SureGrip comes to mind 3M also has a good epoxy for stuff like that, would hold it alot better then rivets. IMHO.

Chris

84rust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2010
college station, texas
i got too inpacient and went with it and did have to make the holes bigger becouse i was slithly off i did use masking tape to get an idea of where to drill. yeah i think it might have done a better job if i did the ends first. will put pics of how bad the holes when i get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor