Grand national transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, I've finally got my 2 year elco project painted, I put the motor from my Malibu in it, runs good I think. Bought a 86 MC SS transmission for it 3 years ago and put mile 1 on it this week. It feels like its missing 4th gear, or 2 gears are shifting very close to each other, when it goes into what I think is 3rd (final gear) it goes down to 1500 rpm and bogs down. Stays in that gear until 100km/hour at least (that's as fast as Ive taken it just in case), I see the rpms at 100km/hour at 3k with a 410 rear end which I think is high for OD. So im thinking of buying a Grand national transmission the guy describes as working when parked, what should I be finding out about the GN transmission or should I not give up on the MC SS transmission yet..

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    733.9 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 461
  • Pictures 2014 008.jpg
    Pictures 2014 008.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 477

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Well, if you can get the BRF trans for a good price, grab it. Personally, the CZF trans is a good unit. It sounds like it needs to be gone over.
Good lookin' Elky. Is that a dark green color or black? Also, what are the leather seats out of?

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Longroof79 said:
Well, if you can get the BRF trans for a good price, grab it. Personally, the CZF trans is a good unit. It sounds like it needs to be gone over.
Good lookin' Elky. Is that a dark green color or black? Also, what are the leather seats out of?

Seats are out of a 2001 MC SS, the paint is jaded green from eastwood, heres a better picture for the paint color

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    706.4 KB · Views: 468

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
The 86 SS trans has the same valve body the BRF does. Govenor is set at a different RPM then a GN. Give Lonnie a call or shoot him an e-mail at extreme automatics. Tell him I sent you, it helps.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Have you had the pan off and seen the cz ink mark on the valve body? Have you pulled the governor to confirm it is the cz governor? If not, there is no telling what you have in there. Same goes for the brf Turbo Buick trans. Without the factory markings there is no telling what someone might have swapped in in the last 25 yrs.

Crd80BU

Greasemonkey
Apr 20, 2012
Ontario, Canada
TexasT said:
Have you had the pan off and seen the cz ink mark on the valve body? Have you pulled the governor to confirm it is the cz governor? If not, there is no telling what you have in there. Same goes for the brf Turbo Buick trans. Without the factory markings there is no telling what someone might have swapped in in the last 25 yrs.

I have had the pan off changed the solenoid and filter, I believe there was pink marking that were correct for the cz, it was 2 years ago but I obsessed confirming that it was the correct governor. it should be shifting much higher than 2500rpm imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor