Grandpa Car: 1979 Cutlass Thread

mybigwarwagon

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2009
Wow sweet old car. And you are keeping it in the family too. Great story.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
DRIVEN said:
My area has emissions testing so I need to be selective about a replacement.

No exemption for older cars where you are? Just curious. In my state anything 25 yrs or older just gets a safety inspection.

Oh, and that's a nice clean car!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Unless it's changed recently, all 1975 and newer have to be smog tested. No safety inspection though. The standards aren't very high. Last time I went through with an older car they didn't even pop the hood. Just a mirror on a creeper to verify that the cat was in place and a tailpipe test. I think most any engine would pass as long as it was in reasonable state of tune and had a working cat. Probably not gonna get away with a tunnel-rammed big block or coal furnace.

mybigwarwagon

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2009
If I may hijack you thread for a minute what does the "Grand Prix" bar and rear tie bar do? I am guessing it helps with handling.

mybigwarwagon

Apprentice
Apr 11, 2009
I guess that could be why the GreenGremlin rolls like an aircraft carrier in a hurricane. Maybe I should be to bracing it up.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Kind of a sad update: My grandpa passed away last week due to complications from pneumonia. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him before he passed. His mind was clear and he was in good spirits but he knew his time was up and faced it on his own terms. He was a really cool guy and I'm going to miss him a lot. I wish I could have finished his Cutlass sooner.
His other car was this '68 El Camino that he owned for over 40 years. It's almost as clean as the Olds but spent most of it's life outside so there is some sun damage. The photos today show it relatively unchanged since 1970 including the original 327/4-speed. After the funeral and family "stuff", I literally drove it into the sunset with his cowboy hat on the seat next to me. It was pretty emotional. I'll have it in "protective custody" until the final decision is made regarding it's next home. At least for a few weeks his Olds and his Camino will be reunited.
006-11.jpg

001-34.jpg

007-5.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Sorry to here about your grandfather. He had really good taste, between the El Camino and the Cutlass.

Keep up the good work 8)

Gregg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor