Grandpa Car: 1979 Cutlass Thread

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Are those the ones that fit BBO in a Gbody? OEM or Thorton?

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Ran over to my dad's shop today for a prehibernation LOF. Delco filter and Delo400 because that's what my grandpa always fed it. A bottle of Lucas zinc too, just to impress Turna. Went looking for the source of the clunk under the seat and found the transducer for the aftermarket cruise control was within bouncing distance of the floorpan. About 8" to the left is where the frame extension for my G-force crossmember is about 1/16" from the frame. Isolated both points.

Also went on the hunt for any loose steering components. Found the RS tie rod sleeve clamps were loose -- Snugged both sides. Couldn't find anything else in the front or rear suspension loose. Kind of suspect that it needs new front brake hoses though because it's got a weird momentary left pull when I apply the brakes. Happens for about 1/2 second then goes away.

Then went across the river and dumped $50 of pure gas along with some stabilizer in the tank. My belly needed tacos so I blasted to Melba.

Stopped by the little boat launch south of my house. No one was there but me.

Decided to take the long way home. No one was there either.

Acres and acres of beer trees. This was all corn last year.

Stopped at the grocery store in Homedale for some dinner fixins and Caymen Jack and made a new friend in the parking lot. Somebody's 75 year old abuela reeeeally liked my car.

Good 100 mile loop, just cuz. Now it's all tucked in under the cover for the winter. See ya next spring.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users
Nov 4, 2012
Love it. Delo400 is good stuff. I've run it almost exclusively in every 3800 I've ever had.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you go back about 20 pages it shows what the engine looked like when I opened it up at 150k+. My grandpa bought Delo by the drum. It went in his log truck, his El Camino, and this. No problems ever.

Reactions: 4 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That car is such a cool car just the way it is! If you repower it with an Olds engine down the road, I will not hold it against you though.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks great. What lake are you close to? Yeah, looks really dry there. I also won't hold it against you if Olds 425 it.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That's the Snake River. Owyhee Reservoir is about 20 miles to the west and Lake Lowell about 5 miles to the east.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Caught up in a 455 daydream. I've located a std. bore 455 block which would let me build a complete engine with the parts I bought last winter. That would be a total of 2 455s and a 425. It would also give me the option of building a 425 with 39* and small lifters.
Decisions, decisions...

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I say 425 with small lifters, unless you do a real aggressive f!at tappet, no point using the expensive .921" lifters . Either stock stroke or offset grind with BBC rods.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor