Griffin Radiator Home made brackets/ top cover plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Trans cooler from an 80's bronco ll not sure what the temp is at in the trans,i'll get a trans temp gauge soon

Attachments

• DSC04651.JPG
    DSC04651.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 678

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Hey quick question, does your radiator have a drain? My Dad has a Griffin Radiator in his 87' Cutlass and when I went to drain coolant for him I couldn't believe it had no drain.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
That radiator is a circle track radiator, no racing radiator has a drain as they leak and can get broke off from debris

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Fox80 said:
That radiator is a circle track radiator, no racing radiator has a drain as they leak and can get broke off from debris

plus in circle track they often don't last long enough to need a drain.. :mrgreen:

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Haha yea sad but very true, dirt racing I carried two spares for a two night show just in case

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Fox80 said:

Well, that explains why it does not look like any of the Griffen radiators I have owned which also always came with a spot for the petcock.
Are those welded on stand offs for mounting or for something else?

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
not sure how to answer question or comment i guess i l try this to see what happens,

My radiator does not have any drain pet c*ck,Not planning to do circle track racing with this car so i think it will last for awhile,it's not going to be an everyday driver i am sure circle track race cars run pretty hot an this radiator wasn't ran that much when i got it it ,it does have spots on it to mount it in the core support area

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
565bbchevy said:
Fox80 said:

Well, that explains why it does not look like any of the Griffen radiators I have owned which also always came with a spot for the petcock.
Are those welded on stand offs for mounting or for something else?

They are just a formed piece top and bottom, circle track cars use a piece of 1"x2" tubing top and bottom to mount them rigid for the most part. I was not trying to imply that the radiator wouldn't work for your car, in fact it will be more than enough for any street car it should have two 1" tubes in it with welded tanks designed for a 30 pound closed system. With no trans cooler and no provisions for OEM type mounts most guys avoid them, but they are cheap probably because they sell a bunch every summer

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
on our circle track cars we use AN fittings for the over flow. The neck has a thresaded hole so we can use the type of fitting we prefer

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
When it starts leaking or what ever, i still got the copper/brass one i throw back in,But for now,until i can't use it no more, i am using it,It looks great an no issues "YET" 50.00 bucks i think i did good

So 408.00 is cheap ? cause that is what Summit racing is listing this exact same one for But anyway thanks for the heads up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor