Had G body for years, just not online

Status
Not open for further replies.

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
Hello to all. Well, I've had a G body car for years, some got turned into dirt race cars, this one I kept. Am the 3rd owner of a 1986 Buick Regal Limited, 305 V8, 118,000kms.
Bought from a kid who's grandparents had passed it down to him, that was in about 2004 I would guess. He had done a few things to it but really hadn't changed it much. It had sat outside for some time before I acquired it so the paint and top were starting to go.
We drove the car till about 2006 when it got stored in an outbuilding. Just recently during a cleanup drive around the farm I dragged it out to have a good look at it. For the age it isn't in too bad a shape body wise since it wasn't driven during the winter. Once in awhile during the summer we would take it out and drive down the side road and back.

Well after a little bit of work this week, its back on the road and driving, just for the fun of it:) and to figure out what to do with it.

Last edited:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're in Canada? If so where abouts?

X2 on the pics!

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
Thanks for the replies, over the next few days I will snap a few pictures and learn how to post them. We are in Southern Ontario, between the lakes near Hamilton On.

Had the Regal out for a drive into the village yesterday to put some gas in it, rides just like a living-room sofa. It had been oh so long since I had driven something that's V8, carbed and non-electronic.

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
Snapped some photos a few days back.
DSCF0010.JPG

The stick-on molding fell off in the heat leaving strips of glue on the doors and panels.
DSCF0011.JPG

The car had sat outside at one time and the vinyl roof has broken up.
DSCF0012.JPG

There is a rust spot behind the door, and stone chips at the rear wheels.
DSCF0015.JPG
DSCF0017.JPG

Under hood is pretty much as it was purchased, the A/C compressor is in the trunk with the hoses.

When I bought the car, the camshaft had a 2 lobes off it, a common 305 problem of the day. Changed the old cam out for a Crane Cams RV type cam, commonly used in 4x4 trucks and double roller timing chain set. It is pretty snappy off idle and has a pleasant lope to it. The previous owner had dual exhaust instaled, found an x pipe with header flanges in the trunk too so he may have had headers on it.

Drove it a few times and with the timing and idle set properly the engine runs really good. Its been fun to drive.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the site. Lots of good folks here.
The Buick looks like its still in pretty good shape, definitely worth cleaning up and enjoying. Keep us updated with your progress. Good luck.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hi and welcome, you must have raced on the Ohsweken speedway, I never took my GP there for fear it would end up in the reservation. We raced metrics at Flamboro in the thunder car class for a few years.

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
clean8485, O.D. Showtime, pontiacgp,
Thank you for the replies, I will drive the car until winter closes in, then into the shop and current plan is to clean it up. My wife calls it the Love Machine because when I bought it there was all kinds of mood lighting and black lights wired up to turn on inside the car when the ignition was on. ????? Never wanted to know why. They were the first thing to go!
As for the racing, that was many moons ago before Ohsweken Speedway was around, we stopped racing about 1986/7 due to work and family constraints.
I have always enjoyed watching winged sprint cars like World of Outlaws. Any car that weights 1400lbs and has 800hp has my attention!
As a sprint car budget is a little past my comfort zone the last few years I've been helping out at Ohsweken with sprint cars. Its something I enjoy on a Friday night out. The thunder cars at Ohsweken were very competitive this year, they put on a good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor