Had to delete ECM now I'm stuck. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
Also when I got her there was about 2 fist fulls of wires that were just zip tied together and not hooked to anything. So I'm not even sure if any of those were even hooked up or not. Yes the conditioner did work fairly well.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Holy 💩, son! That thing needs a lot of help.

The plugs on the distributor are simple: 3 pin closest to the cap is from the module in the base, single, large pink goes to the right, and the tach lead goes to the left in front.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
WOW what a ...... anyway.
Don't worry about the wires yet, unless they are burning, shorting or hitting the fan.
there is ONE wire that needs to work. the blue one on the choke. should get 12 v with oil pressure.
This wont keep it from running but it will run stupid rich....hint block it open with a big screw driver.
But first fireing order is cast into the front top of intake 18436572. Find tdc of #1 cyl driver side front.
On the compression stroke. pull the plug put your finger over the hole and BUMP the starter.
when your finger blows off you should be coming up on #1 firing. turn it on up to tdc.
pull distribtor cap. the rotor should be pointing at 1 (we hope). this is where you check your plug wires and firing order.
get this done first. 1357 on the left (driver side) 2468 (pass side) front to back

Reactions: 1 user

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Maybe it will run better after the check. if it is still rich, look in the carb while it is running. Keep the choke propped open with that screwdriver. is the fuel rdripping or running out of places? it should be a fine mist. if the are drip or streems you got carb issues.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It ran like crap after you changed the exhaust manifold gaskets - I'll guess you're firing order is out of whack. The original problem of running overly rich won't be resolved by correcting plug wire locations though.

1st - check timing with timing light with vacuum cannister on dizzy unhooked and plugged.
2nd - check manifold vacuum with gauge and make sure it's steady and at least 15"
3rd - if the carb you have is a used of unknown source and quality, then I'd a stuck with the 750 Holley DP and unhooked the secondaries to only run on two barrels. The Holley is much easier to tune.

Lastly, I feel for you. If you were nearby we'd have this runnin' in a jiffy if the compression and cam are ok.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Reading your issues and reading the responses here, a lot of great advice! I personally think that when you installed the manifold gaskets you had to obviously take the wires off the plugs for easier accessibility, and a few got swapped around causing a new backfiring issue. As others have stated, a 750 double pumper on a small block is overkill, often times people assume bigger or more is better, not in this case, maybe on a 454 BIG block but not here. Also if its acting doggy or as you stated, clogged converter symptoms, but no cat on this one, perhaps you have a vacuum advance issue on the distributor, or its time for a new cap and rotor...its so hard diagnosing without being there in person, just rambling here to give you some ideas, good luck bud!

Thediggsmang

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2019
I want to thank everyone for the help. I went and zip tied all my wires back so nothing would be near any moving parts, got in my car, started it and drive it away. Was even able to go toss my 98 TL1000R in the back to get all 3 of us home. She is still doing the same as she was before but at least she is home. Both of them. She is still backfiring through the carb. It has completely eluded me as to what this issue is. I have followed the hose routing diagram from under the hood and in the Chilton, replaced all vacuum lines even if they weren't suspect just replaced them, have gaskets on exhaust manifolds, intake gasket carb and still she is doing the same thing. Right now I have some extra money coming in. I'm wondering if I should start looking at a different engine. Im not sure if this issue could be caused by something internal or not. I have a new timing chain I can install and an entire gasket set. I'm just wondering what other people's opinion is. The engine itself sounds smooths and rides great when she is driving other than the back fire. No knocks ticks if anything of the such. Starts great and all. Just wondering if the engine is worth putting the time and effort into it or if I should try to find a decent 350 or maybe what I want a 383 stroker. Thank you all again.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Double check the plug wire for correctness to firing order...common for 5 and 7 to get crossed and will backfire when throttle is opened since they're so close to each other in the firing order, yet will idle smooth all day long.

Reactions: 2 users

Hippi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2009
ILL
Make sure the plug wires are all the way on the plugs they should click when seated all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor