halp me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
does anyone know what degrees i should be timing a 87 cutlass supreme with a 305 4bbl. you have to look straight down from the top to see the marks which have a full circle pipe at the bottom and then the "christmas tree" tab above it. when i first adjusted it, the pulley mark was above everything so i brought it down to one of the inside marks and it still feels sluggish. not that i know what those marks are lol

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Correct me if I am wrong but are you trying to time the engine by moving the timing tab?? Sorry if I am wrong that is just how it sounded.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
lol nooo i just described it cus on older 305s its in a different place and doesnt have the little tube thing. dont get me wrong i know quite a bit about cars, i just always did it by ear an now that i have a timing gun i want to get it 100%. it bugs me thinking it could be slightly out. i also know every point on the tab is a certain degree, im just not sure if each one is 5 degrees or 2 or 1. ive always owned 85 an under so this 87 has things im not used to seeing. even the valve covers are different from what ive seen. it IS a 305 tho an not a 307

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I don't know what the stock base timing is supposed to be on a Chevy 305, but if you know the engine code ( LG4 for example ), then I'm sure the Chevy guys in the Monte section would know for sure.

If you have a dial back light, you could just set the max timing at whatever your engine likes ( about 34ish ) and then just let the base timing fall where it may. Better yet, just recurve the distributor for dirt cheap and get some more oomph out of her.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
well i know my engine code is 9, but as far as curving the distributor...do you mean bend the shaft?? lol jj im assuming that mean change the weights an springs?? any idea if that tube on the bottom of the tab is where the mark should be? or what each point on the tab is? its hard to believe no-one out there has looked up the degrees to time their own...ive looked on the internet but havent had any luck.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
cutlassguy said:
well i know my engine code is 9, but as far as curving the distributor...do you mean bend the shaft?? lol jj im assuming that mean change the weights an springs?? any idea if that tube on the bottom of the tab is where the mark should be? or what each point on the tab is? its hard to believe no-one out there has looked up the degrees to time their own...ive looked on the internet but havent had any luck.

Clean it, I think that the marks are sort of carved in the metal

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
ill try that but i never seen anything that looked like numbers on it. a mechanic buddy of mine told me back in the day each inside point is say 2 degrees, then each inside outside point is another 2 degrees. even when i figure that part out tho, i still need to know which degree to set it to.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
cutlassguy said:
ill try that but i never seen anything that looked like numbers on it. a mechanic buddy of mine told me back in the day each inside point is say 2 degrees, then each inside outside point is another 2 degrees. even when i figure that part out tho, i still need to know which degree to set it to.

The Chevy 305 in my 83 Grand Prix was 6 degrees base timing. There was a plug at thge distributor that you had to unplug before you set timing. All you really need to identify is the timing mark at 0 anyways. If you get yourself an adjustable timing light, you can just turn the knob to adjust from there.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
cutlassguy said:
well i know my engine code is 9

Umm no. A 9 for your engine code in your VIN ( 8th digit ) is the high output Olds 307 found only in H/O's and 442's. I'm refering to the engine code of the engine which would be on the sticker on the deck lid or would be known by a Chevy guy familiar with 305's of this era ( which is why I suggested asking the Monte guys ). The engine code will be something like 'LG4'.

Now with that being said I think you need to give us more info here. This is a Canadian FACTORY INSTALLED Chevy 305 circa 1987 with right? That means CCC system unless changed ( I assumed you DIDN'T have the CCC but I don't know for sure ). If this is just some unknown year/code 305 that was slapped into your Cutlass ( yuk! ), than we're not going to know exactly what the base timing should be set at because there were alot of different 305's then.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
my vin has the 9 engine code, i remember the mechanic where i saftied the vehicle was making a fuss about it but he never mentioned why...i bought the car a few months ago from out of province and the guy painted it a year or two ago so all the stickers are either off or barely there. i owned a 307 before and this looks identical to a 305 except the valve covers arent round steel, they're more flat on top with maybe 4 or 5 raised bumps going along them. from what i know its a 1987 oldsmobile cutlass supreme brougham with a 305 that im almost certain is oroginal cause everythings hooked up and there arent any "loose ends" hanging around. wouldnt it say on my insurance if its a H/O? I know for sure its not a 442 LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor