Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was referring to the AFX spindle, and they are spendy. If you plan to daily this car then you should consider a tire with some sidewall or you'll be repairing/replacing wheels.
Also, you can lower the front by installing a tall lower ball joint, and improve the goemetry.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Last time you posted, you lowered the back of the car 3" but left the front completely stock.

Have you lowered the front end, yet? Stock V6 springs in front and 3" lowered springs in back is not a recipe for a good handling car, no matter what shocks you are running.

• Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I am also thinking in the deep dark parts of my deranged and distorted imagination about handling on my El C. I replaced the springs and the front end is tight with a relatively recent set of good shocks. I like the idea of up-grading the steering box as mentioned on this forum but have little experience with a really premium grade of shocks.
Thoughts? Recommendations?
I'm a big fan of bilstein shocks.i feel they're the best NON-adjustable shocks for (MY) money.you're paying for the technology that's lacking in this market that's flooded with shocks that cost $29.99.the shock department is where you really get what you pay for and as i stated before shocks are brains of it all.

• Agree

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
Last time you posted, you lowered the back of the car 3" but left the front completely stock.

Have you lowered the front end, yet? Stock V6 springs in front and 3" lowered springs in back is not a recipe for a good handling car, no matter what shocks you are running.
yeah you got it right man, I had to learn the hard way even though I wasn't planning on just keeping the back lowered and not the front. So now the plan is 2" the back, 2" in the front if possible. The good thing is I'm not using the car on the daily, I just test drove it for a bit & that's when I came to conclusion on what I may need to do. Do you think the set up I have planned will work good enough? I might get the 2" drop spindles in front and see how that works, what do you think man? Do they sell 1" drop spindles? If so that'd be alright Id just have to put on those 1/2" taller lower ball joints... so far for improvements overall I'm thinking better thicker sway bars, springs & shocks for the front, ball joints, bushings, drop spindles and maybe some bags for the springs. What do you guys think??

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
The two inch spindles are standard,I've never seen a one inch one but that doesn't mean they're not out there.if you decide on a shorter spring keep it under two inches.anything over a inch and you're starting to limit suspension travel and that makes for a rougher ride actually.you said 18"-20" wheels are in your future?
Are you planning on staggering them or running the same size on both ends?

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
What make and model of car.You can always go to the performance model of that car or a sister model model of your Car. I would at least go with a good set of shocks to make the car safely derivable .Until you decide what you want to do with the car.And waste money on parts you can`t use or work with you combination

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
What make and model of car.You can always go to the performance model of that car or a sister model model of your Car. I would at least go with a good set of shocks to make the car safely derivable .Until you decide what you want to do with the car.And waste money on parts you can`t use or work with you combination

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
You don't want to do drop spindles and leave the V6 springs. If you want the car to handle better, you need stiffer springs. If you want the car to be lower, drop spindles and V6 springs will just make a lower, floppy handling car.

Since the springs need changing no matter what you do, forget about Spindles for now and just swap springs. Moog 5658 S-10 front springs will be stiffer than stock and will improve handling. You can cut a 1/4 coil off at a time if they are too tall stock. These are only $60/pair from summit.

These springs would work well with a pair of bilstein shocks and .5" taller Proforged lower ball joints. Just make these changes upfront and the car will drive and handle better. Add a factory 32mm G-body front sway bar (or a Hollow 34mm or 36mm sway bar from a F-body to save weight) and difference from the current handling will be night/day.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
If you're not comfortable or have no desire to trim the springs yourself you can always buy a GOOD 1" shorter spring from a reputable company and run them with the taller lower ball joints.along with a fresh alignment.

• Agree

oilman666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 11, 2013
Austria/Europe
here is my setup - without lowering, i have to admit. but handling is what i consider perfect

front: moog 5662, koni red, bushings: all moog problem solvers
rear: moog 5379, koni red, bushings: all moog problem solvers

very good advice from UNGN

These springs would work well with a pair of bilstein shocks and .5" taller Proforged lower ball joints. Just make these changes upfront and the car will drive and handle better. Add a factory 32mm G-body front sway bar (or a Hollow 34mm or 36mm sway bar from a F-body to save weight) and difference from the current handling will be night/day.

if you want lowering, you may want to take a look on the eibach pro kit. they should look and handle very well.

cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor