Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I was not even remotely impressed with the Pro Kits on my v6 4 door. The rears are too low (added 1" spacers) and the fronts are too soft even with the 3.8. I ended up with the Belltech Blazer 2" drop spindles & Moog 5662s in front. It still bottoms out (tire to inner fender) on large dips, but handles well.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
The two inch spindles are standard,I've never seen a one inch one but that doesn't mean they're not out there.if you decide on a shorter spring keep it under two inches.anything over a inch and you're starting to limit suspension travel and that makes for a rougher ride actually.you said 18"-20" wheels are in your future?
Are you planning on staggering them or running the same size on both ends?
Yessir, I really want to aim for 20" though. 18's would be my last option and yes they will be staggered.. just wider in the back to give it that bulky look.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Yessir, I really want to aim for 20" though. 18's would be my last option and yes they will be staggered.. just wider in the back to give it that bulky look.

The problem with 20's on a G body is you want to keep the tire diameter in front to 26-26.5" (unless you perform inner fender surgery) so that doesn't leave much tire. Most 20" tires are 27" and taller. 18" is probably the practical limit in front for a wheel/tire that isn't all show and no go without a lot of inner fender mods.

Visual appearance is important to a lot of people, but spending thousands of $ on wheels and tires should provide a handling/performance gain over a set of $500 15" wheel and tires. 20" wheels/tires won't.

83reeeegal

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with 20's on a G body is you want to keep the tire diameter in front to 26-26.5" (unless you perform inner fender surgery) so that doesn't leave much tire. Most 20" tires are 27" and taller. 18" is probably the practical limit in front for a wheel/tire that isn't all show and no go without a lot of inner fender mods.

Visual appearance is important to a lot of people, but spending thousands of $ on wheels and tires should provide a handling/performance gain over a set of $500 15" wheel and tires. 20" wheels/tires won't.
do you think that inner fender mod will do it for sure? Is it too much of a process? Cause I was talking to another fellow member wit a monte and apparently he has the desired similar look i'm aiming for.. he said the exact same thing about having to do that fender mod.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
do you think that inner fender mod will do it for sure? Is it too much of a process? Cause I was talking to another fellow member wit a monte and apparently he has the desired similar look i'm aiming for.. he said the exact same thing about having to do that fender mod.

On a regal there are both Metal and Plastic inner fenders that will have to be cut/reshaped to fit 27" tall tires on a lowered car, beyond what would be required for 26" tall tires on a lowered car.

Specifically, 27" tall tires will rub the back side of the fenderwell.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Twenty's might be rather tall,I staggered wheel/tire size and amount lowered on my elco and the amount it's lowered is almost deceiving.i'm running a 275-45 18 on the back and a 245-50 17 on the front with one inch drop in the back via spring and one and a half in the front via one inch springs and the taller lower ball joints that we've been talking about.if,nothing else it's just something to think about

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
/thread Hijack :p
You don't want to do drop spindles and leave the V6 springs. If you want the car to handle better, you need stiffer springs. If you want the car to be lower, drop spindles and V6 springs will just make a lower, floppy handling car.

Since the springs need changing no matter what you do, forget about Spindles for now and just swap springs. Moog 5658 S-10 front springs will be stiffer than stock and will improve handling. You can cut a 1/4 coil off at a time if they are too tall stock. These are only $60/pair from summit.

These springs would work well with a pair of bilstein shocks and .5" taller Proforged lower ball joints. Just make these changes upfront and the car will drive and handle better. Add a factory 32mm G-body front sway bar (or a Hollow 34mm or 36mm sway bar from a F-body to save weight) and difference from the current handling will be night/day.

I have a 442 that I'm gonna be tearing into the suspension and steering within the next couple months. I currently have new Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners of the car with stock springs (bought it this way). I'm upgrading brakes to the S-10 Blazer Dual Piston Caliper and will be running GNX wheels with 245/50/16 tires (already got these parts). I'm planning on swapping out all the Steering for Proforged stuff and south side machine performance stage 2 upper control arms (will buy in the near future). I'll probably replace the rear control arms while I'm at it too and use Energy or Prothane Bushings everywhere.

Thing is I haven't decided on Springs yet (the stocks are definitely going to the scrap heap). I'm leaning toward the stiffest Moogs I can find but might go for the Eibach pros.... I'm not looking to lower my car for looks. I want it to handle as best as it can while maintaining a decent ride but I'm not looking for the mushy stock ride either. This is going to be a street car first and foremost BUT it's gotta handle.
<- I drive this everyday and let's just say I'm not driving Miss Daisy.

I'd definitely appreciate any input in regards to Spring Selection.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gremlinsteve

Master Mechanic
Mar 6, 2018
Here is my el camino
I'm on a two inch drop spindle in the front
For now on stock springs

My combination is
F41 style front bar
F41 rear bar
Bilstein shocks
Drop spindles
Bmr lowering springs rear sp037
Jounce bars
Jeep steering shaft
F41 steering box
Grant steering wheel
Boxed lower control arms rear
Willwood brakes front and rear
Tall ball joints

This is my master plan. Some parts I have on it. Most are in order.

If you don't own it. Purchase and read the book called g body performance upgrades its worth the 25 bucks to get you updated

Also. I'm running 17x7 on a 225/50 and a 19x9 on a 275/40

Attachments

• IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've read that book,it was ok maybe I've been around these cars long enough not be impressed by it but still some info out there is a good thing.check out how to make your muscle car handle by mark savaskie he wrote a decent book on suspension workings.he explains why the taller bj's and the chassis mounted rear sway bars that we've been talking about are so good for our cars amongst other really good info in the book.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor