Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
-83MONTESS- said:
Well I loosened all 4 balljoints and it turns alittle easier. Still stiffer than it was before but im gonna chalk that up to all new ball joints. What is the best way to tighten these? I followed the Chilton manual for the torque specs before but was seemingly too tight. I should add I have Speedway uppers with their bolt in ball joints. Any special procedure?

I don't understand what you mean by loosing the ball joints. When you tighten the nut it has no effect on the rotation of the ball joint in it's socket..If you over heighten the nut that only causes stress in the threaded area as the shaft is tapered and once it's seated it will not move.
I mean I backed the nut off a little bit until they popped back out. Then I retightened them but didnt torque them down as tight. It made a little difference, the steering feels freeier than when it was torqued to spec.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that would not have any effect on the ball joint. The ball stud does not move in the spindle when it's installed

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
that would not have any effect on the ball joint. The ball stud does not move in the spindle when it's installed
So what are you thinking the issue could be then? From what I read the Moogs are pretty stiff out of the box so do I just drive it as is and wear them in? Did you notice any steering stiffness when you switched to the Speedway uppers?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use stock moog ball joints in the tubular uppers and never had stiff steering. I use to use moog lower ball joints and never had any issues with those either. I now have screw in low friction lower ball joints. I would remove the outer tie rod from the spindle and see how each wheel turns on the ball joints by hand.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
I use stock moog ball joints in the tubular uppers and never had stiff steering. I use to use moog lower ball joints and never had any issues with those either. I now have screw in low friction lower ball joints. I would remove the outer tie rod from the spindle and see how each wheel turns on the ball joints by hand.
After thinking about it the tie rods were very stiff when I put them in. They are also new. I will disconnect them and see what I get.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how about having someone else try the steering and give their opinion...it could be tighter then it was with the old parts but working fine..

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
how about having someone else try the steering and give their opinion...it could be tighter then it was with the old parts but working fine..
I had a buddy feel the wheels after I disconnected the tie rods and he thinks they are pretty stiff. So now I know its the ball joints. Both sides feel the same so I know its not just one side dragging. My buddy thinks it will ease up after some driving but I wanna be sure before I kill myself.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I got an update. Since there isnt an engine in the car I jacked up one lower control arm and the spindle turned easier. The other side was the same but when I let the suspension hang it was still stiff. So im thinkin once the motor is in the weight would change it. Am I high as a kite or could this be the cause of this issue?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A ball joint should have to be used to loosen up. The ball joint has a load spring under the ball stud which gives it it's tension against the walls of the housing. I would contact moog and see what they have to say. I assume you have greased all the ball joints...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
A ball joint should have to be used to loosen up. The ball joint has a load spring under the ball stud which gives it it's tension against the walls of the housing. I would contact moog and see what they have to say. I assume you have greased all the ball joints...
Yes I have greased everything good. The ball joints were in the arms when I got them a few months ago but were never used. Didnt have have the boots slipped over them yet. I know for sure that they loosened up a good bit when I lifted the car from the control arm instead of just lifting in the middle and letting the suspension hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor