Has anyone heard of this mod???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2008
i hang out with alot of old school guys that have been drag racing since the 50`s and they all say to me that the best way to ensure a great spark with a stock ignition set up is to put the spark plugs in with the heads offs. you tourqe them down till they are facing the exuast valve. suposedly this gives your spark breathing room as the intake valve is still atempting to seat itself as the plug is fired. i have tried this when doing head gasket changes and did notice alittle more pull on the top end. it wont be a throw your head back kind of power. but it will ensure that the motor is giving you all the power you can get out of it while still using the stock ignition. i am sure that if you throw in an cd ignition it will work even better.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That makes alot of sense since the new more modern fast burn chambers bias the spark plugs towards the exhaust valve. I will try that any see if there is any noticable difference.

RG496

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2008
Why do you have to have the heads off? Take a sharpie and mark the porcelain to indicate where the electrode is. You know where the exhaust valve in the chamber is, right? Tighten it up to see if you can get it in the right spot. You may need to try a couple plugs in each hole until you get one then ends up in the correct spot. They also sell indexing washers to turn the plug a certain # of degrees.

BTW - don't expect any measurable gain. Some people say point at intake valve - some say exhaust valve.

I've only indexed in cases where the piston dome could hit the plug if the electrode where in the wrond spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor