Having a slight transmission issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
Its only happened once or twice but sometimes when im driving as i slow down to a light the transmission is not down shifting right away. The other day i slowed to make a turn and when i went to go it was like the transmission was still in 4th gear then it finally shifted down when i gave it alittle more gas, but it was like driving a stick shift without down shifting in a turn. What could be the problem ? Thanks

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
first 2 things to check is fluid level/color and the TV cable adjustment along with slack and play. (assuming a 200r4) if it's a th350 check the kickdown cable and vacuum modulator vac line.

Rockstar

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2007
Tampa,Fl
I have read the link and understand now. I havent looked yet but is it possible that the cables have come out of alignment (stretched) and need to be reset?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'm thinking that the cable may not be returning when you come off the gas. so the trans doesn't know to down shift. when you give it gas it comes unstuck and downshifts.
it could also be an internal problem like the valve body. did you check the fluid for level and color? that's usually (but by no means always) a good indicator of internal condition.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Another problem you may be experiencing is a lock up clutch solenoid that is sticking. I have had that happen before and it feels like you are trying to stop a manual trans car while it is still in 4th gear. That could be a few things, easiest of which to fix would be an out of adjustment TPS sensor or a bad brake light switch. The TPS sensor though, will do it all of the time, and it will clank when it disengages. I used to have mine set up by a guy in Clearwater named Ron Striker, who ran a little shop called "Performance Carburetor". He wasn't in the phone book, and had all the work he could handle simply by word of mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor