Having odd steering problem on 81 Elky

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Now gotta wonder, maybe put a tape on the frame and check it for square?

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Now gotta wonder, maybe put a tape on the frame and check it for square?

Nick
Thanks. Once I get it up in the air. Had serious dental work done and can't hit my *ss with both hands at the moment because of painkillers so this effort will need to be put off for a few days.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Don't know. Didn't think about it. Won't be able to check till this weekend.
1.5 to both sides. Got it up on jacks started the engine and this thing is seriously steering itself to the left (drivers side).

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Thanks! If it is alignment/geometry would this be corrected by a front end alignment (I would have to take it somewhere) or would it need a more in-depth procedure?
Got it up on jacks started the engine and this thing is seriously steering itself to the left (drivers side).

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
If you put them on the frame the suspension hangs. You want to mimic the car on the ground with the weight on the suspension
Got it up on jacks started the engine and this thing is seriously steering itself to the left (drivers side).

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
how many turns from hard left to center? then how far can you force it to the right?
Got it up on jacks started the engine and this thing is seriously steering itself to the left (drivers side). It is 1.5 turns to either side from center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor