head bolts in water jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
I have yet another question on my head swap. The little pamphlet that comes with the gasket says to put some silicone on the bolts that are going into the water jackets. It appears that all the bolts go into the water jacket, but with 65 ft. lbs. of torque, is it really necessary?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Any bolt that goes into the water jacket should have thread sealant applied to each bolt regardles of torque, water will still push its way through if you don't.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Yup you have to. Dont skimp out on some cheap hardware store sh*t either. Go buy a quality thread sealer. ARP, PERMATEX, etc.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
Permatex high temperature thread sealant is made specifically for this. But rtv black will work too.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
thanks. On the bolts that I have to put silicone on, is the silicone enough to lube the bolt to prevent thread binding? Or do I need to put some oil on them as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor