Head Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Checking used bolts is a lost art. Many will just replace because they are cheap. But ARP stuff is head and shoulders above the crowd. Follow their guidelines and all will be well.

As 1badgbody mentioned old school stuff can be re-used alot, but don't assume they are good - check them as lilbowtie described.

FWIW - about 6 years ago I put that plug in incorrectly and it leaked (thumbs down) and had to do the same as you're doing. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

vpmac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2017
Fayetteville Ga.
Hey guys, quick question. I forgot to plug the block by the hole for the oil pressure gauge on my new rebuild. So I have to rip the drivers head off to put the plug in. I know I have to get a new head gasket. But can I get away with reusing the head bolts?

If you just installing the plug you do not have to remove the head. It is on the top back of the block behind the distributor on all the small block chevys I have built. Might have to pull the distributor to get to it.

Reactions: 1 user

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
I had to change mine once and used a line wrench socket I bought in a Kobalt set from Lowes. I can dig them out and take a pic if you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor