Head casting numbers...HELP plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
I had been told that on a 1972 Impala and similar cars GM put on a cylinder head that are really good. They have the largest intake and exhaust vavles that GM put on a SBC 350. I was thinking that the guy told me they were casting number 883 but of course I'm not sure and I was talking to this guy at a swap meet so I can not just ask him again. I was hoping somebody might be able to help me. Im working on my cutlass and cant afford aftermarket heads so I'm trying to find the best factory heads I can. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
That's the era you'd most likely find the awful 882 head. Huge combustion chambers (low compression), prone to cracking, and lousy flow. It does nothing well except to serve as a doorstop. This just might be the worst head Chevy ever bolted to a 350.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Most people say the new 96-2002 Vortec heads are as good as any made, including the old double hump. Salvage yards are full of them. Just look dead center between the exhaust valves for cracks first. I carried a piece of Scotch bright pad with me to clean that area so I could see it better.The 906 heads from the HD trucks have hardened valve seats. I believe the others are 662 castings.

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
OK good to know. Thanks for all the help. Does anybody have any suggestions of what I should put on my SBC 350? Cant afford to send $1000 on aftermarket edelbrock heads. I do have a weiland intake with an edelbrock 650cfm carb and I just want to help it breathe a little better. My Motor is a 77 350 and thats all the mods I have done. Trying to basically do a budget build one part at a time.

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Since you already have your intake just find an older high compression head. The Vortec's require a special intake, but you can get one for just over $100.00.

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
Yeah i didnt think I could use vortec heads, thanks for the info. What would be a good car or truck to find heads on?

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
I have access to just about any head from the 60's-70's 80's and 90's but due to my lack of knowledge of what are the best ones I do not even want to tell you how I have access to all these parts. please help me.

fdcutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2013
how about 441x or 487x?

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Go for a set of the double hump heads if you can get them. Look for the larger valves and make sure what ever you find has the proper threaded holes in the head ends for the acc. brackets you plan to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor