head swap torque specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Im about to do a head swap on my sbc350. Its a late 70s model. The heads im putting on are a set of 462 double humps. I have the bolt pattern, and the torque is 60lbs, i think, ill have to go back and check. what im not sure about is what the intermediate torque settings are ( if that makes any sense ). What I mean is, I know i dont tighten each one to 65 lbs, I have to gradually get there. So, do I go 20, 40, 65? or some other pattern. Thanks in advance! :)

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If you know the torque is 60 then ya do it in 3 steps. 20,40,60. Are you using ARP bolts or a standard OEM? Just wondering. I like to use the ARP torque lube on the underside of the bolt head for proper torque spec.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Thats what I was thinking, but just wanted to be sure. Im just using the bolts that were already there...so oem. What are the bolts youre talking about?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
cdg1984 said:
Thats what I was thinking, but just wanted to be sure. Im just using the bolts that were already there...so oem. What are the bolts youre talking about?

The bolts I am talking about are just an aftermarket head bolt. OEM is fine. Torquing is very important but dont forget to make sure both the block deck surface and head surface are EXTREMELY clean. Use a thread sealer on the threads of the bolts. I use ARP sealer but you can use any quality sealer. Like pontiacgp said, use a dab of engine oil under the head of the bolt. It helps with proper torquing. Also make sure the threads in the block are clean. If you have a thread chaser use it. If not a little carb clean into the threads then blown out with compressed air can work well too. Do yourself a favor too, use a quality head gasket like Fel Pro. They dont cost much and you can be sure you are getting a good product.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you want to use some thread sealant I would use very light grease on the shaft of the bolt. The interference of the shaft on the wall would change the torque value and that's why they require a wet bolt install. I can say that when I worked on aircraft if the bolt was used to obtain the torque value instead of the nut we had to add 10% to the torque value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor