Headlights go out and back on while driving

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Old headlight switch started to get warm so I replaced that. Went for a drive last night. After 45 minutes with the low beams on the lights went out and then came back on at fast intervals. Both the right and the left went out together. The running lights and tail lights were unaffected. Turning off the lights for a bit allowed them to work againfor a moment or two. Using the high beams made it happen almost instantly. Did I get a switch wit ha bad breaker in it or is there something else going on? Where is the most common place to start looking for a short or something on these? Could the sockets go bad and cause this?

High/Low Beam dimmer switch?

Out of adjustment, tilt and/or telescopic steering column?

Is the steering column upper section loose?

It happens with both the high and low beams. It first had it occur with the low beams. Using the high beams just make it happen sooner. The steering column is tilt and solid. Al other items on the column work without issue. With the highs on all of the headlight bulbs go out together.

Could I have a bad switch with a bad breaker in it? Is it possible that it is just week and tripping early? I just replaced it and the new one fixed a dimming issue in the dash lights. The old one did get warm but never tripped. This one never got warm but seems to trip.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor