New LED turn signals not flashing while headlights are on

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
I think you may need a new flasher just for led bulbs because they draw less amps

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
What I found with the 1157 bulb bases was that the contacts were shorter and shaped in an oval form rather than the incandescent versions which had a high sitting circular contact. The ovular shape could make it possible for both contacts to feed power to the led even though only one side is supposed to be powered. I had to try different mfgrs to find a design that used the old contact style with the LED head.

I also initially used the LED design that looked like multiple layers of flat plates and did not like the output they offered so I changed over to the multiple micro-light style of head and they do seem to work better.

This whole project was simply for the purpose of obtaining brighter turn signals so that the half asleep idiots that I have to deal with while heading into work in the morning actually will notice that I am trying to turn and slow down instead of trying to run me over while driving in some kind of semi-comatose back brain fugue. Sometimes I think I could set off a micro-nuke and that still wouldn't be enough light to get them to pay attention.

Nick

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
LED’s require an LED flasher.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I still run regular bulbs in my malibu(79) all around and know nothing about LED switch over... perhaps this will help explain things.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Nice video but the commentator is only dealing with one brand and style of LED. When I did my research on available designs of the LEDS I did look at this model/type and discarded it as an option. Also be careful of Amazon, they do carry inventory on LED's but they will drive you nuts when you try to get specs for them.

The variant of bulb that he displays at the 6.50 minute mark of the video is the style that I personally elected to run and I have had none of the problems with them that he suggests will happen, beyond the headlight glitch and that is not even a major problem; just something to consider on a cold night when nothing else is more interesting.. I even managed to acquire them in an amber format just to keep the cops happy.a

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor